PDA

View Full Version : Engine temp guage....

dan-hipgrave
23-07-04, 11:56 PM
I used my car briefly today to jump start someone elses car, and noticed that as soon as the ignition was on the temp guage went right over to the right and off the scale, obviously not reading correctly - as if it had a constant voltage applied to the gauge. I havent had a chance to investigate it yet but im assuming that this would indicate that the sensor in the inlet manifold has broken, i saw that the wire was still connected to it and none of the wiring behind the dash has been touched. Do they just go suddenly like that? seems odd to me...

dan-hipgrave
24-07-04, 11:24 AM
ok, today i took the wire off the sensor thing and left it hanging, then turned the ignition on and the guage shot right up to the right again, so am i right in thinking that this conforms that the sensor is knackered?

-Bruce-
24-07-04, 11:30 AM
yeh i would say so!! but if you want to check that the sensor is knackered, put it in cold water. then in hot and take a reading from ohm meter and see if there is a difference if there is not then its broken!!

bruce

dan-hipgrave
24-07-04, 11:31 AM
yeh that sounds like a good way to check, will have to do that later. cheers mate. :D