PDA

View Full Version : K Series in a nova?

johnny27
20-07-04, 11:30 PM
Heard of a 1.4 Rover K Series put in a nova once, would this be of any real benefit as the 1400 is already 105bhp standard? And very easy tuning to bring up to 140bhp, can you fit T40s to it? Probaly a stupid question to ask, but just wondering.

DirtyDave
21-07-04, 07:04 AM
jst a word of warning if u r seriously thinking about this, the 1400 k-series are prone to cracking the head, and i would think this is more so if u start tuning the engine! :!: :!:

Stuart
21-07-04, 08:03 AM
at uni i did an extensive research project into the K series engine. its a very cunning design etc

i considered chucking a 1.8 in since they are about 70KG wet, not too bad.

you can put T40's on, but i think they prefer 40mm parralel TB's

and DONT get any lumenition "tuning" stuff lol their ECU's are a bit mickey mouse.

also to consider that if you take the engine over about 7000 rpm regularly the pistons have a bit of an allergy to remaining in tact lol.

but there is loadsa of tuning stuff about for them etc since the caterham boys use them a lot.

id say go for a late 1.6 (wet lined) with the high port head. then contact millington for the head work ;)

MC
21-07-04, 10:44 AM
A very good idea if you have the ability to do it. Thge weight saving alone will pay dividends.

MC

Stuart
21-07-04, 01:23 PM
oh and there is a website by a bloke called Dave Andrews (its an AOL site if that helps the search)

hes the K series LORD (appart form paul ivey lol) the site is jammed full of info on how to tune them for not a lot of cash, all the way up to ?10K rebuilds lol

benji
21-07-04, 05:40 PM
eaiser and cheaper to get a 1.6 16v from a corsa and tune that

TRD_NOVA
21-07-04, 10:36 PM
http://members.aol.com/DVAPower/ <-- here ya go :D

m.d.
22-07-04, 07:09 PM
id give the k series a miss mate. the head studs go the whole way through the block and pull up the main end bearings. this means that you cannot torque the head down as much as other engines as it will crush the mains. this means that they WILL blow head gaskets for a pass time uless you find a way to change the way the head bolts down. :?

other than that problem the engines take well to tuning and some good power can be had from them. even the 1.4s :D

if you want a small light engine why not go for the suzuki swift engine. very powerful motor and its only a 1.3 :o