PDA

View Full Version : de-cat

seanp1
20-07-04, 02:52 PM
To de-cat a 1.2i is it as simple as just taking off the cat and replacing it with the section of pipe of a carb model?

Al Wilson
20-07-04, 03:06 PM
Or get the de-cat replacement pipe. Why would you want to remove it - you'll only have to put it back come MOT time. Unless you know someone who ignore that.

seanp1
20-07-04, 03:10 PM
Where can i get a cat replacement pipe from, how much?
i wanna take it off for the power increase.

Al Wilson
20-07-04, 03:12 PM
Just look in mags adverts mate, not sure if they make one for the 1.2 for definite but a big company like Piper or something will know.

Will
20-07-04, 03:42 PM
Or get the de-cat replacement pipe. Why would you want to remove it - you'll only have to put it back come MOT time. Unless you know someone who ignore that.

no novas are listed as requiring a cat even the K regs, im fitting a cat replacer if they do fail it ill swap it back and then back again!

seanp1
20-07-04, 03:51 PM
Thats what i was thinking of doin mate, cos it aint that hard to change.

newboy2thenova
20-07-04, 03:55 PM
hi m8 was thinkin of doin the de-cat 2 my 1.2i its easy and good car shop sell the de-cat pipe well around my area any way wot sort of bhp gains do u get i no standard its 45bhp but after de-cat wot would we be lookin at??

seanp1
20-07-04, 04:05 PM
In theory you should get another 10bhp so its the same as the carb, but i think that the spi makes it a bit less.

Will
20-07-04, 04:07 PM
2 bhp gain imo

newboy2thenova
20-07-04, 04:12 PM
if i have a full system exhaust de-cated got airfilter as well wot would the bhp be at and getin a 1.3 cam high lift

Al Wilson
20-07-04, 04:32 PM
no novas are listed as requiring a cat even the K regs, im fitting a cat replacer if they do fail it ill swap it back and then back again!

Mines an H reg and doesn't require it but the engines a J and should have one. It passed the MOT with its straight through and they said nothing, but as I've changed the V5 in theory they should note that and ask one to be fitted. Think I'll just keep quite. :wink:

newboy2thenova
20-07-04, 04:35 PM
a bloke in a garage near me said hed de-cat it full system n back box and TUNE the engine 2 run with lower emitions but wont that mean its runing lean??wot u lot think

_JH_
20-07-04, 08:54 PM
In theory you should get another 10bhp

:lol: :lol: :lol:

General Baxter
20-07-04, 09:17 PM
aha but if you swap things over for just MOT as it will fail with it on

that means when you put it back on you have NO MOT

:roll: :roll:

novaboy1981
20-07-04, 09:27 PM
my '92 sri is de-cat and has just easily passed the mot without it, and also without having tuned the engine any differently.
u can either replace the whole pipe or just chop out the cat and weld in a pipe of the same diameter! thats whats been done on mine! :twisted:

newboy2thenova
20-07-04, 10:28 PM
thnks 4 the info m8 .. think i'll get a full system n back box tho mite help the hp

Will
21-07-04, 12:31 AM
aha but if you swap things over for just MOT as it will fail with it on

that means when you put it back on you have NO MOT

:roll: :roll:

an mot certificate only proves the car was road legal while it was being tested in the garage, its up to the owner to keep it that way, the ticket is merely a grace period of 1 year before a test has to be taken again.

a tickets a ticket who cares, everyone has to swap stuff over, clear rears in theory shud not pass etc

Will
21-07-04, 12:33 AM

Mines an H reg and doesn't require it but the engines a J and should have one. It passed the MOT with its straight through and they said nothing, but as I've changed the V5 in theory they should note that and ask one to be fitted. Think I'll just keep quite. :wink:

whichever is older is how the test is determined

e.g. an new corsa with an old astra GTE valver enigne wud not need a cat ;)

H reg is older and doesnt need a cat

also J reg doesnt need a cat either its only k reg but most novas can blag it, i will sson be tested this myself K reg GSI with decat etc going for mot

Alex
21-07-04, 01:33 PM
indeed you are right there young William

Al Wilson
21-07-04, 08:45 PM
Cheers Will. Now I know if anyone asks! :D

Potswalker
22-07-04, 11:38 AM
ive been told that the cut off for a cat is 1993 onward needs one. as a K plate is 92/93 you can argue that it doesn't need one as long as there is no way of proving whether its a 92 or 93. well see in august when it goes in :|

paul james
22-07-04, 12:56 PM
my 93 k reg has passed its mot with the cat taken off. If you want to use a 1.2 carb exhaust you need two sections. The one from the manifold, and also the next section with a silencer on it thats before the rear silencer. You need the two because the way the sections join was changed from the carb models, the carb sections need to overlap instead of bolt together. you wont get 10bhp from it tho, probably wont notice much difference at all, sounds a bit louder tho.

Snowface
22-07-04, 10:57 PM

this has been posted a thousand times.

it is apparently true that Nova's arn't on 'the list' of cars needing a Cat to pass MOT.

Some garages might fuk u about, others won't.

Stanley
23-07-04, 11:05 AM
according to demon tweeks:- any car registered on or after 1st august 1992 must have a CAT to pass an MOT i.e. removal of CAT will result in MOT failure-

but,
a bloke down the road works at budget tyres or some such place and says if i de-cat, then he will put the car through an MOT as a 'defect' or some word like that that he used (conversation with him was down the pub so its a bit blurry!) so its not what ya know, its who ya know!!

muhahaha

Will
23-07-04, 12:43 PM
lol since when were tweaks mot testers, lol

as i said later this month i will end up posting results of my findings when i mot my K reg reg gsi with a decat, lol

Matt Nova
25-07-04, 11:27 PM
Sportex sell de-cat pipes ?50 for the 1.2i coz i've thought about getting one.
Do they actually make them louder? If so what do they sound like?

Ste L
26-07-04, 04:53 PM
Sportex sell de-cat pipes ?50 for the 1.2i coz i've thought about getting one.
Do they actually make them louder? If so what do they sound like?

no it doesn't make it any louder... i got one on my sri
its just a silencer box instead of the cat

Will
26-07-04, 05:14 PM
correct i have one for my gsi :D

yummy