PDA

View Full Version : Do i need an Oil Cooler on my C20XE Engine??

bad_boy_nova
16-07-04, 07:07 PM
I am currently running without an oil cooler and everything seems to be ok. Would an oil cooler make any difference in performance or would it be better for the engine? Cheers

m.d.
16-07-04, 08:51 PM
its just a good idea to have one really as when the engine gets hot the oil thinnes out and will not lubricate as well as it should. the oil cooler will just keep things cooler. good idea if you like reving the tits out of the thing. (dont we all :twisted: )

Aamir
19-07-04, 03:02 PM
The standard Xe's had Oil Coolers cause the engine obviously needs it, just having mine fitted from calibra, my mechanic has just told me Astra GTE's oil cooler pipes are different & fit better - You know it makes sense !

Philsutton
19-07-04, 04:12 PM
i dont run one and most other people i know that have xe's dont either, cant say any of them or me have ever had any trouble but if you want piece of mind just to make sure nothing goes wrong then you might as well fit one.

Davy!!
19-07-04, 06:52 PM
they are a pain in the arse, no matter how hard you try at some point the hoses will touch your pulley and burst!, you generally dnt need them!

m.d.
19-07-04, 06:52 PM
how hot do your cars run without the cooler :?:

Davy!!
19-07-04, 07:30 PM
always in the red? is that normal?? :P nah no change, aways about the 1/4 or lower, but sold the car now!!

Rick Draper
19-07-04, 10:16 PM
You dont need it, as ste stated in another post, its designed for use only in hot countys really when using a cav gsi to tow a caravan up a hill in 30 deg heat. Rick

m.d.
20-07-04, 04:40 PM
mine runs at about just over half way up the guage and if i dont put the fan on it keeps rising. :|

im using a 1.2 rad at he mo and no oil cooler but everything else is brand new

Aamir
21-07-04, 10:34 AM
Don't want to start an arguemnt here,

Think about how much money Vauxhall would of saved by not fitting oil coolers on uk cars !

Vauxhall would left the oil coolers off if uk cars didn't need them, think about how many Cavalier GSi's, Astra GTE 16v's & Calibra 16v's were sold in the uk.

Just my 2 pence

-Bruce-
21-07-04, 12:12 PM
i agree with Aamir, it sounds logical that they would only fit one if it was needed!!

bruce

Stuart
21-07-04, 01:26 PM
taht as it maybe

but FYI Chris T dosent run an oil cooler and he has a slightly silly 20XE, with no temp problems

Philsutton
21-07-04, 03:48 PM
i just have my fan on all the time just to make sure