PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with engine mods!

sTuDeNt
16-07-04, 12:36 PM
Rite guys!
I know you are a banch of wizards when it comes to Nova, can you please help me here then! I need to know some details really.

I want to replace my camshaft. I need to know the degree on the shaft, I was told that i need something around 280, whould it be good idea replacing flywheel. My engine is 1.2. I will replace my carb to webber one, i need to know whats the best one to go for 36,38,40 one? Exhaust system will be replaced comletely to the new one!
I would like to replace gearbos to something better. Which one shall i go for?

I also would like to polish and port engine head (hope this makes sense :roll: )

I would appreciate any help! Specially guys you have done this many times before, so PLEASE. Got no one else to ask! :(

-Bruce-
16-07-04, 12:52 PM
if i were you i would not put your money into your 1.2 engine, as you will want to upgrade soon anyway. what i would recomend would be to strip and rebuild the engine so it runs better. this will help you understand how it works and different parts to the engine, so when you get a larger engine you will know what you are doing!!

bruce

mowgli
18-07-04, 12:40 PM
simply buy a decent 1.3 or 1.4 engine.
your insurance company will not charge you much compared to big cams etc.
a gearbox from a sr will help acceleration.

sTuDeNt
18-07-04, 12:49 PM
Gearbox from SR is it straight change over or it has to be modified?

MechaT
18-07-04, 03:42 PM
All the 'boxes from the 1.2 1.6 engines are completely interchangeable. That's the F10 and the F13, found in Cavs, Astras, Corsas, and Novas,
The F13C (close ratio) is the best in my opinion but good luck finding one.
Actually I lied. You can't fit F10's on to 1.6 engines

Snowface
18-07-04, 04:56 PM
or onto most sri's.

sTuDeNt
19-07-04, 05:43 PM
All the 'boxes from the 1.2 1.6 engines are completely interchangeable. That's the F10 and the F13, found in Cavs, Astras, Corsas, and Novas,
The F13C (close ratio) is the best in my opinion but good luck finding one.
Actually I lied. You can't fit F10's on to 1.6 engines

So i can use this gearbox from any of this cars to put it in to my Nova!?
So the best is F13C, whats the seond option!?
Can you get new F13?
Whats the life of a gearbox!? WHat chances of one packing up if you just got it from second hand?