PDA

View Full Version : rev counter...

TRD_NOVA
15-07-04, 05:06 PM
My 1.2L Nova Saloon doesn't have a rev counter, so im wondering where I can get one to fit, or can I get something from a better spec nova and fit it. I really want a rev counter so when I want to flaw it to get on the motorway or somefink, I know when to change gear...

Any good advice will be met with open arms and lots of kisses :P

dan-hipgrave
15-07-04, 06:03 PM
You can get a rev counter from a higher spec nova such as a GTE/GSI depending on whether yours is a mk1 or mk2, and then just look in the loom and you may have an unused green wire that will be the signal for the rev counter or if like me you didnt have this, then run a wire through to your ignition coil, and the bottom right connector in there will not be used and will be a feed for the rev counter....

Or you could buy an aftermarket rev counter from somewhere like demon-tweeks and mount it on your dash or some people even have them in the place of the heater controls on the mk2 dashes...its up to you.

TRD_NOVA
15-07-04, 07:46 PM
think ill just get a mountable rev counter, one with a shift light. Cus I will race my 1.2L Nova against grannies in them motorised things. I'll beat them :D

TRD_NOVA
15-07-04, 07:53 PM
or if I don't get a mountable one, can't I get just the display binnacle or whatever it's called, and just slot it into my dash. My car is a 1986 Vauxhall Nova 1.2L Saloon...

dan-hipgrave
15-07-04, 08:02 PM
Yeah yours will be a mk1, so you can put in the GTE instrument cluster, and that will have the added advantage of having a rev counter, oil pressure guage and battery voltmeter.

TRD_NOVA
15-07-04, 08:04 PM
then I would just have to figure out how to slot it all up :P

dan-hipgrave
15-07-04, 08:07 PM
Battery voltmeter would work with no extra wiring, at least it did on my digi dash, oil pressure guage would mean that you need a new 2 wire sender otherwise it would constantly read maximum no big problem really, and the rev counter is easy to wire up. I think getting it into the mk1 dash would be the hardest part.
If i were you i would do a mk2 dash conversion, so much nicer and then you can easily get at the instrument cluster to fit a GSI/Digi dash....

Benny Blanco
15-07-04, 10:15 PM
I have a Clart-ometer. It's registering pretty high at the moment.

TRD_NOVA
15-07-04, 10:24 PM
how would I go about fitting a MK2 dash, would it just slot in no probs, or will it require a little snip here and there.

And about the digi-dash, I heard they only work on certain gearboxes...

dan-hipgrave
15-07-04, 10:57 PM
Get a decent condition mk2 dash, with all bits such as buttons, vents glovebox etc, and a couple of inches of loom on each plug. You then just remove your old dash, cut off the plugs and match the mk2 plugs up colour for colour. There is a guide on Nova-Land that will give it in a bit more detail.

http://www.nova-land.com/

As for the digi-dashes, I think they will work on any Nova, i have one in my 1.2 with a 4-speed box, and it works fine, just make sure that you pick up an 8-valve one, as i have heard that there are 8-valve ones (tick style rev counter)and 16-valve ones (curved rev counter).
Same deal with that just match the loom up colour for colour and plug the transducer into your gearbox. I think there is also a guide for that on Nova Land.

TRD_NOVA
15-07-04, 11:25 PM
I know this has nothing to do with rev counters, but can I get a 5 speed box for my 1.2L???

dan-hipgrave
16-07-04, 01:58 PM
yes you can mate, i am also in the process of trying to find one for my 1.2. You want one from an SR - F10cr (close ratio) or one from a later 1.2.

Ste_Nova
16-07-04, 03:38 PM
I have a Clart-ometer. It's registering pretty high at the moment.

only cause their is a crappy in your sig

Nick
16-07-04, 06:10 PM
I have a set of SR clocks for sale.(same as GTE) I think it's just a straight swap with your orignal plug and speedo cable in the back of the dash.

?20 with the plug and short distance of Loom

I wouldn't bother with a f10CR because i had a cr in for a short time (but the mainshaft bearings were screwed so i swapped it over for a f10w) and it really screamed, if u drive on the motorway i found that it just was a nightmare trying to bomb around at75-85mph. it was just revving it's arse off

with the f10w i've expirienced similar acceleration and a great improvment on the top end speed of the car.

TRD_NOVA
16-07-04, 06:35 PM
ok, so is that F10w one a 5 speed? If it is, where can I get one

dan-hipgrave
17-07-04, 06:30 PM
5-door owner has one for sale mate.......