PDA

View Full Version : Is it hard to........

nam
13-07-04, 05:09 PM
fit a SR carb too a 1.2? would it just be a case of un bloting the 1.2 carb and bolting the SR one on or it there messing around with pipes and all that?

nam
13-07-04, 07:30 PM
any one??

dan-hipgrave
13-07-04, 08:16 PM
You will need:

The carb itself, the inlet manifold, the throttle cable and a choke cable if yours is automatic choke.

Unbolt the 1.2 carb and inlet manifold, bolt on SR inlet manifold using new gasket, and bolt on carb, connect up fuel inlet and return lines, and throttle and choke cables and away you go....

nam
13-07-04, 09:08 PM
great stuff so theres no messing around with pipes and all that? mines a manual choke, does that mean i dont need the choke cable?

sorry to sound thik but i just need to know as i will be doing this in the next few weeks

dan-hipgrave
13-07-04, 09:11 PM
nah you wont need to get a choke cable then.
Dont worry about sounding thick mate, i did this job on my 1.2, and it took me a morning, and id never done anything like it before.
You will want to get it set up properly by a garage though, because when i first fitted my carb (Weber 32/34 from an SR) my car just revved right up to 6500rpm without touching the accelerator at all, and so i had to get it towed to a garage and tuned but it runs great now....

nam
13-07-04, 09:23 PM
ok then but that dosnt sound to reasuring about the reving :? anyone else have this problem?

Dave
13-07-04, 10:47 PM
hang on one minute!!!!!!!!!
what about the water hoses to the automatic choke???

dan sounds like you were lucky an got hold of a webber replacement carb from a sr where as the standard 1.3sr and 1.4sr carb was a pierberg 2e3

with changing from a 1.2 pierberg 1b1 carb (which is has maunaul choke operation) to a 1.3sr (or 1.4sr) pierberg 2e3 carb (which has water temp operation) you'll have to t-piece 2 pipes off from the back of the engine (where the water pipes go to the matrix) to feed it.

also think you'll have problems with the inlet ports as the 1.3sr inlet ports were oval an the 1.2's are round (might be wrong!!)

dan-hipgrave
13-07-04, 11:43 PM
ahhhh ok, i didnt realise that the standard SR carbs were autochoke, i thought that they were the same as the weber :oops:

That means then that you'll have to change your manual choke for an autochoke, making the job a bit harder.

nam
14-07-04, 08:22 AM
right then so its no just unbolt and bolt on again. it this a hard job? also where would i get that T piece from? and lst of all how the hell do you go about the auto choke?

Cheers for your help lads

Nam

Dave
14-07-04, 10:02 AM
Where are you getting the carb from?
if it's from a scrappy simple job is ''borrow'' all the pipework that goes with it from the 'r' shaped metal pipe that runs behind the engine an copy it onto your own,

it's not too hard of a job as long as you have some idea of what you need to do! if you've got a mate with one (so you can see a standard sr) take the big dustbin air filter off an have a look at the pipes on that an how they sit where they branch off etc. then you'll have a bit better clue.

Ste_Nova
14-07-04, 10:07 AM
right then so its no just unbolt and bolt on again. it this a hard job? also where would i get that T piece from? and lst of all how the hell do you go about the auto choke?

Nam

get the bits... bring it down to mine at the weekend

MC
14-07-04, 10:55 AM
The ports are the same on the 1.2 and 1.3.

MC

Dave
14-07-04, 12:02 PM
round (might be wrong!!)

glad i put that oin the end :lol:

simple job then pop round to ste's an give him a couple of quid then at least you konw it'll be done propper!

robb
14-07-04, 01:19 PM
Don't use the auto choke, they are sh*t and prone to not working.

I think there is a manual kit avaliable somewhere, if not can't be hard to make one. A 32/34 carb is the best bet, as these have manual chokes and are alot easier to set up.

nam
14-07-04, 03:44 PM

Nam

get the bits... bring it down to mine at the weekend

i am looking to do it one week end in a couple of weeks, i will give you a shout ste when i know wheni will be doing it. cheers for all the help lads.
when i go and get the carb i will just take everything so then i have it. how long do you think it will take ste?

Dave
14-07-04, 04:06 PM
i'd hazard a guess at about half to 3/4 of an hour with all the fiddling about

got to:
drain cooling system
undo an take off fuel pipes, old inlet & carb
replace gasket an put on new inlet & carb
do up pipes change over heater pipes
refill cooling system

think that's all

no...... forgot the cups of tea :lol: