PDA

View Full Version : Track rod arm?/

VAUXRACER
13-07-04, 12:25 PM
Problem!!!! cant get the passenger side track rod arm to tighten??it just spins on the ball joint??the other side done up fine with some pressure added to it but the passenger side just dont wanna no??

robb
13-07-04, 12:35 PM
buy a new one, actually get a set.

I paid ?15 for a pair from Newport motor factors

Or if u are gonna bodge it you need to clamp it with a g-clamp, I have done it before but don't reccommend(sp) it

VAUXRACER
13-07-04, 05:30 PM
Do i mean track rod arm??i mean the parts of the steerin rack that goes into the arm attached to the hub,i think its track rob arm??(im spinnin out to much bud!!! :P ) cant just wack on a new one thats a mission only just put valver in and fuck all room to move never mind a new steerin rack

Ste_Nova
13-07-04, 06:54 PM
clean it with thinners etc... then jam it down tight with a bar...

or buzz it on with an air gun

AnThoNYnOvA
13-07-04, 09:11 PM
if its the track rod end your gonna av to apply weight to above it i used a crow bar , because if u dont the ball is gonna spin and so will the bolt

Ste_Nova
14-07-04, 10:02 AM
i've got one of these

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000AXA9I.01-A1787XOD7Q2I4M.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

VAUXRACER
14-07-04, 10:07 AM
Cant really jam it down??it just keeps spinnin and the problem is its on a bit and wont undo?? or do up tighter??

Ste_Nova
14-07-04, 10:09 AM
why can't you jam it down?

robb
14-07-04, 11:02 AM
Ok....

i mean the parts of the steerin rack that goes into the arm attached to the hub,i think its track rob arm??

this says to me that you are trying to put the end on the arm.

The arm will always spin as it has a ball and socket connection on the rack, If you are trying to put the end on the arm then you need to hold the arm. There is a small (8mm? i used adjustable) flat part on the arm to hold it when putting the ends on and also when adjusting tracking, put the locking nut all the way down to clean the threads and then screw the end on then put in hub, track it and do the locking nut up.

Aragorn
15-07-04, 02:47 PM
aah so thats how the bastards in kwikfit can track it easily yet it took me 30mins to get the fucking track rod end off

they dont need to remove the end just turn the bar :)

good idea i spose

_JH_
15-07-04, 06:37 PM
if your still having problems...

how far on is the nut? has the thread of the track rod end just reached the nylon in the nut? if so, you should be able to get small mole grips between the rod end and the arm of the upright. this will hold it still to take the nut off. you could cut the dust cover off to give more room. (but you'll need to replace it or get a new end, which you may as well for the price)

then clean the threads with a die, and use a new nut. should be fine. I always do this when refitting them as the thread gets very dirty being close to the brakes and the wheels.

Ste_Nova
15-07-04, 06:47 PM
aah so thats how the ba***d in kwikfit can track it easily yet it took me 30mins to get the f**k track rod end off

they dont need to remove the end just turn the bar :)

good idea i spose

i'm sorry but thats haynes manual stuff..... don't fuck with brakes and steering if you don't know what your doing

VAUXRACER
16-07-04, 10:14 AM
good point bout the haynes stuff,cant afford someone else to do it!!!
the nuts on to far to get small grips down it all ready tried bruv ill just have to try and bodge it on or off wid a g-clamp this weekend and see how it goes!!!

_JH_
16-07-04, 05:27 PM
in that case you should be able to grip what thread is showing through the nut and tighten the nut up. believe me, if no thread is showing you will be able to get grips in there.

Riggy
16-07-04, 06:58 PM
i had this probleam on mine but the bolt you are talkin about seats on a angle which gives it a tight grip so if its spining clean both end (the bolt and the hub bit) and twat it down with a hammer and tighten it a litle with your spanner of socket then keep twatting it down evry time it spins it will work as have done it on mine itsa bit of a bodge and new track rod ends only cos 8 quid but :D :D :D

VAUXRACER
17-07-04, 10:41 AM
i cant get anythin on the end where u put the bolt on cause its just on the verge of bein able to see the thread but cant get to it ,also cant get to it through the small gap between the hub and the steerin rack where it spins?? well im gonna try and bodge it today wid a g-clamp and a lump hammer!! :D :D

VAUXRACER
17-07-04, 10:45 AM
i will let u no how badly i bodge it