Heres the lowdown:

idling at 955rpm
engine cold=normal oil pressure
engine warm=low oil pressure

greater than 1000rpm

engine cold=normal oil pressure
engine warm=normal oil pressure

Diagnosing

Oil pressure switch sending out correct readings. Have checked by removing switch and measuring pressure with diagnosing pressure meter. Also, eliminating oil pump failure.

Recent oil chage slighty increased oil pressure at idling but light still comes on.

Cure

Does anyone agree that my next move should be to remove the valve and spring from the oil pump to check for a blockage. I was informed that this was a common problem for short run sr's?

Any suggestions would be welcome.

The car is a 1989 sr with only 19k on the clock.

Al Wilson
12-07-04, 12:04 AM
Agreed try that next, not sure why it doesn't do it on low revs cold though?

And 19K on an '89 is preety special :D

burgo
12-07-04, 12:09 AM
u sure u got the rite grade oil in there mate am i correct in thinkin oil thins out wen it gets hot therefore wen it is cold it is thick enough to pump around wen it gets warm it thins out to much just an idea try wakin a bottle of that oil thickener stuff you can get

retrosi
12-07-04, 12:09 AM
yep...its a special one alright

restoring rear arches but other than taht its 100% original and sound. Had it up on a 4 poster a week ago and the chassis is still covered in original wax oil as with the engine bay.

Planned mods are a decent exhaust...magnex maybe and lowering.

As original exhaust has a small hole in the backbox. The car even has the original tyres, tax disc holder, plates etc. My dad sold it when it was new to an old woman who kept in a garage and now i have proud posession of it!!

retrosi
12-07-04, 12:12 AM
the oil i put in was 15w40 mineral the same stuff as was was originally put into the engine. I'm sure its the thimble valve but if it needs replaced it will mean a new oil pump or machining a new thimble valve as you cant get the part from vaux anymore...not even partz stock management.

burgo
12-07-04, 12:15 AM
hmmmm if the oil aint the prob it is lookin like the pump but if its only done 19k i cant see the pump would of gone yet but u never kno better to b safe than sorry

Barn
12-07-04, 08:28 PM
same as on my one mate...on a F plate... 30000 miles

on original tyres etc

cool :+:

retrosi
12-07-04, 08:29 PM
same as in car or problem or both?

Barn
13-07-04, 01:09 AM
sorry mate...as in car :oops:

haha

retrosi
13-07-04, 09:13 PM
Removed the oil pressure relief valve today....oil pressure problem still persists.

Also reset the carb.....surprisingly low emissions!

So....does anyone have any further suggestions or remidies?

A bottom end rebuild is looking likely!!

Stuart
13-07-04, 09:22 PM
id say its not been run in right. or the fact its such a low miler is a problem.

rebuild is possible. but you may get away with a new oil pump ;)