PDA

View Full Version : Quarter mile times? What's good?

Funkdocta
11-07-04, 06:38 PM
Can anyone give me rough quarter mile times for a Nova GTE? What's a good time for a well tuned GTE with most of the interior taken out?

R there any records held for normally asperated 1600 Nova's quarter mile times?

Taking my car up to RWYB on Sunday for the 1st time, dunno what 2 expect! Anyone on here going up?

ta

Philsutton
11-07-04, 06:43 PM
i think dan has done a 14.9 in his with full interior.

Funkdocta
11-07-04, 06:50 PM
Cool, what has he had done to his engine? That must be quite a highly tuned engine?

epo
11-07-04, 06:52 PM
first time i took my gte up i managed 17 seconds it was standard too

Philsutton
11-07-04, 06:52 PM
he has twin carbs plus load of other stuff, and is making some where around 140hp at the fly wheel

benji
11-07-04, 07:14 PM
what do you consider well tuned? a standard gte with no rear seat's did a 16.3 not long ago. so below 16.0 will be a good time, i raced a modded gte at santa pod. he had a full interior, t40's, overbore, cam, head work and he got a 15.5

Jim
11-07-04, 09:55 PM
i think dan has done a 14.9 in his with full interior.

Dan has a stripped out car, but will no doubt go on its at standard curbweight, blah blah blah ;)

He ran a 14.9 though, well, several actually :)

Jim

Philsutton
12-07-04, 05:25 PM
im sure when i spoke to him he was on bout his standard curb weight, just asumed it wasnt stripped, ah well

Dan
12-07-04, 05:45 PM
lmfao :P , There are stripped out cars that have absolutley nothing in them like phils and are very light, then you get cars like myself that run a 6 point cage and other things that only return the weight that was taken out, but put back in different places.

For a tuned one then the rule has been low 15's generally, then i started hitting the 14.9's like no tomorrow, either this year or early next the times will be going down to mid 14's hopefully, either by myself in the new shell or jim that i know of.

Funkdocta
12-07-04, 05:58 PM
What's the best way to start the sprint then, i'm guessing a bit of wheel spin but not loads. Should u spin your wheels up before the start to wearm your tyres, anything else worth knowing?

Cheerz

Dan
12-07-04, 06:03 PM
There's no specific way to do it as everyone has their own idea's. I did ask a few times before i ran mine, but in end just did it as if i was at a traffic light grand prix and launched the car the best way i knew how.

Stuart
12-07-04, 06:10 PM
i find the best way to launch is with a bottle of champers broken over the bow of the vehicle

Philsutton
12-07-04, 06:12 PM
they tend to put water/oil down just before you go on to the strip, if you drive through that then spin it off otherwise you will get serious wheelspin off the lights. I think i get a better start if i spin the wheels but that just me.
oh an go when the orange lights come on then by the time the car moves it'll be green, thats how i got a reaction time of 0.1

Jim
12-07-04, 06:57 PM
lmfao :P , There are stripped out cars that have absolutley nothing in them like phils and are very light, then you get cars like myself that run a 6 point cage and other things that only return the weight that was taken out, but put back in different places.

LOL Dan, yours is still "stripped out" for want of a better description :P

As for mid 14's..hmm, not sure about that. 14.7 might be a more realistic target?

Jim

epo
12-07-04, 07:03 PM
There's no specific way to do it as everyone has their own idea's. I did ask a few times before i ran mine, but in end just did it as if i was at a traffic light grand prix and launched the car the best way i knew how.

heard a few people on about launchin in 2nd gear instead of 1st is this a good way???

Jim
12-07-04, 07:19 PM
heard a few people on about launchin in 2nd gear instead of 1st is this a good way???

No. Your better off wheelspinning and powering through the wheelspin than getting bogged down at the start.

It'll take a few goes, but you'll get use to it.

Jim

sTuDeNt
12-07-04, 07:21 PM

Try fifth :lol: ! You want loose time on gearshifts! :twisted:

lol just fit an auto box

Epo, mate, this will be your latest challange!!! :twisted: 8) :lol:

epo
12-07-04, 09:27 PM

lol just fit an auto box

sTuDeNt
12-07-04, 11:18 PM

lol just fit an auto box

Epo, mate, this is you latest challange! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gunzi
13-07-04, 05:51 PM
I ran a 16.29 in my GTE with a K&N and sebring backbox (basically standard)

epo
13-07-04, 06:31 PM

lol just fit an auto box

Epo, mate, this is you latest challange! :lol: :lol: :lol:

nah dont really want me nova no more want to sell it