PDA

View Full Version : 1.2 Merit, engine problem, lacking in power, please help!!

az_e11
11-07-04, 02:23 PM
I have a problem with my car, it lacks in power, wasnt like this when i first got it.
its not like other 1.2 Novas, my Nova takes a long time to build up speed when i put my foot down, the revs gradually build up, taking a long time, it gets there in the end, but takes a lot of time, unlike other 1.2 Novas i have driven..

I know its a 1.2 and is gonna be a bit slow, but not as slow as this.

Where as my mates 1.2L nova a year older than my G reg, as soon has he floors it , he just flys past me, with no engine mods .
what could it be
Please help

Thanks

My car
http://www.novaload.net/features/viewfeature.php?ref=1710
:? [/b]

epo
11-07-04, 03:01 PM
have u tried givin it a good service

also wernt the carbed 1.2's faster than the spi???

dan-hipgrave
11-07-04, 03:17 PM
being a G-reg his will be a carb model as well. As epo said just give it a good service, new spark plugs, filter element, clean dizzy etc. and you'll probabaly notice a difference in it. If not you could always put on a 4-branch manifold, full system exhaust and a weber carb and that'll see you good...

robb
12-07-04, 01:40 PM
Ignition timing!!!!!!

I had this when I first run my GSi conv. up, you need a timing light to set the timing correctly or it will run like a pile of sh*t.

Take it to a garage and get them to do the timing on it, should take them about 15min.

Or drive to Trellck S.Wales and I will do it.

johnny27
12-07-04, 10:39 PM
as rob says, it sound like ignition timing. From my own experience it 95% accurate to time it by ear, when you move the timing give the car 15 seconds to stabilize, when you hear the revs going down it to far retarded and to far advance it revs to high, u can also tell how the timing is when you start the car, if the turning is uneven or stops a second and starts its not right. when you get a good in between, take the car for a run see how the power is, then start moving the timing a very small bit either way, again letting the car stabalize if you hear the revs uneven or a slight miss then you going to far or the wrong way. Keep taking the car for a run and you'll know its right when you are getting most power and no missing of holding back when you floor the pedal. BTW i think its best to set the timing when the car is warm

burgo
12-07-04, 10:46 PM
i kno wot the prob is its a 1.2 lol na seriously check ya timin give it a service and even try gettin a can of carb cleaner and clean that up aswell

robb
13-07-04, 08:55 AM
It is possible to set by ear but you can rarely get it as it should be for the car, not for power. But don't let that put you off.

If you can get to a timing light do that as it will be the best way to set it up, also ask them to adjust the mix screw on the carb then advance it slightly if you wanna show your mate what a 1.2 can do.

P.S. if u r doing it the dizzy works in degrees, little measurements, so don't just twist it round too much, bit by bit. Oh and mark it if you have to take it off in the future.