PDA

View Full Version : Electrical fault ?

DEATHCAT
10-07-04, 01:37 PM
i have sunvisor mirors with lights and when i got the car of a m8 of mine the drivers side one was hanging off and there was a split in the wires and it touched the roof and sparked and melted a 20 fuse but never blew it so a wire behind the dash started to melt now my alarm, interior lights, system and hazard warning lights are not working any idea how i can fix it?

thx in advance ;)

epo
10-07-04, 01:44 PM
it depends if the cable which has melted is repairable
simply cut the damaged bit out and replace usin through crimps also remove the melted fuse make sure u have a feed at the fuse holder part

DEATHCAT
10-07-04, 01:47 PM
can u pls check something for me its the fuse number 17 on the box pls tell me what size fuse is standard in there also i have removed the bolts and screws off the dash and i can't remove it to access the wire also the wires in the big bundel of main wires behind the dash :(

any ideas

thx in advance

epo
10-07-04, 01:52 PM
as its u and am nice :wink:

17 is a 30amp fuse for me windscreen wipers ect
16 is a 20amp for me interior light ect

the only advice i can offer is like i said above chop the dodgy wires out not sure how to remove the dash as ive never had to
sorry mate :(

DEATHCAT
10-07-04, 01:53 PM
yes thats correct but everytime i put in a 20 or below fush they just blow straight away and i cant see where the wires shorting out :(

epo
10-07-04, 01:55 PM
its deffo a dead short live to earth to blow instantly
does it do it with the door shut there fore u interior light isnt on

DEATHCAT
10-07-04, 01:56 PM
yes its once i start to put it in it blows also when i disconnect my batery + wire once i retouch it it sparts like hell :(

epo
10-07-04, 02:01 PM
right disconect all the things which cause it to blow and put the fuse in then reconnect one at a time till it blows again least the u can find the problem
eg if its the interior light thats the prob just disconect the bulb that way there will be no complete circuit

DEATHCAT
10-07-04, 02:02 PM
ok i will give it a go :) so i need to disconnect the hazzard lights switch both sunvisors and the bulbs of the other lights and system and alarm ;)

DEATHCAT
10-07-04, 02:56 PM
right i did the above and it works but once i open the door bang there goes the fuse how would i fix this ?

epo
10-07-04, 02:59 PM
either rewire ur interior light if u cant find the damaged cable or remove it all together

DEATHCAT
10-07-04, 03:00 PM
yeah but its in the roof and i just had trouble reapplying the headliner and i can see the wires :( lol also since this happened the car will not turn over :(

Chris
11-07-04, 07:56 AM
if you want to get the wires in to th etop of the roof from your fuse box then remove your interior light in the roof with a small flat screwdriver. Disconnect the wires from the light, now get your new wires that you are gonna use to wire it up and tape the two wires together with insulating tape. Now find your wires behind the side panel infront of your drivers door. Now pull the wires from the roof making sure that they are both pulling through. Then its just a matter of wiring up ur new bits of wire.

Chris

epo
11-07-04, 11:09 AM
yeah but if the origional wires run through any tight plastic clips they will be almost impossible to pull through

DEATHCAT
11-07-04, 11:11 PM
well i have had a real close look today and the red wire from the headliner light has fried and it has stuck to the grey with of the light might be the shorting out cause also i tracked it down behind the dash and it goes into the wiring loom and i cant see where it goes from the middle bit of the dash where the clock is. here is a quick example in paint

http://www.vbdesign.org/example.jpg

epo
12-07-04, 09:40 PM
yeah if its stuck together then its shortin out givin u a live neg fault hence why the fues keeps blowin

DEATHCAT
12-07-04, 11:41 PM
i cant get the dash off to trace the wire i took all screws out and it wont budge you have a min to drew a example of where they are if not i got a haynes manuel on its was for the car then hopefully i can fix it by wiring a new wire in its place ;)

DEATHCAT
14-07-04, 12:12 AM
i have finally decided to get an auto-electrition out he coming wednesday @ 6PM :)