PDA

View Full Version : sr dash clocks

Dave
09-07-04, 03:21 PM
can someone with a 14sr/sri
please have a lookon the back of the dash at the plug an list off the order the wires are in.
have got a set of clocks with the rev counter in them an need to know which order to change the wires into as they aren't reading the correct values.

thanks
dave

nova_rally
11-07-04, 06:02 PM
What clocks are you fitting and into what? Just fitted Mk2 SR clocks into a 1.2 mk2 with no problems. (other than decoding the Haynes wiring diagram to work out which wire went to the rev counter!) You have run a new wire for the rev counter (if needed) havent you?

Alan

Dave
12-07-04, 10:02 AM
changing from a standard mk2 clacks to (i think) the sr clocks (ones with the 2 big white dials (rev & speedo))
plugged the new dash in an it sends the fuel gague to over full when there is only a small amount in there but i'm sure i'll have to change the leads into the back of the plug
and yes have run a wire from the coil to the dash

cooper_nova
12-07-04, 11:22 AM
changing from a standard mk2 clacks to (i think) the sr clocks (ones with the 2 big white dials (rev & speedo))
plugged the new dash in an it sends the fuel gague to over full when there is only a small amount in there but i'm sure i'll have to change the leads into the back of the plug
and yes have run a wire from the coil to the dash

my mk1 sr clocks did that and it woz coz the metal track on the back of the clocks had got breaks on them in a cpl of places, the only thing i cud do woz 1,replace the track or 2, replace the clocks! so i did the latter,deffo worth looking and c if u can find ne breaks

nova_rally
12-07-04, 12:35 PM
Does everything else work ok? could well be a dodgy gauge, or as said before dodgy track.

Alan

robb
12-07-04, 01:19 PM
Just for a helpful comment, I had a dodgy fuel guage when I changed the dash from 1.2 to digi on my recent project and this somehow whether pure coincidence f**ked the fuel sender on the tank, these take 2 min to change BTW if tank is empty.

Also the wire from the coil for rev counter on every one I have done so far is the right hand plug on top and is the left hand pin when looking at the front of the coil (with king lead coming out from front). Barrel type coil. Just touch the wire on it to see, I did this and didn't blow anything by testing on the wrong pins.

Dave
12-07-04, 01:57 PM
have got the dash sitting in my garage so will trace the tracks round to see if there are any cracks, if there is how can it be repaired or if it can't can a new backing tracks be brought from vaux??

sender is ok have had it in an running then swapped back so all works ok

Dave
13-07-04, 09:59 PM
have looked an all seem alright?
anyone any other ideas??

robb
14-07-04, 10:55 AM
Different type sender on the fuel tank, just try another one.

But test it by plugging it in and moving it by hand first!

They also work on voltage so if you have a short on the wire then it would be show full. get a wire tester and check there is a good wire between them, i.e. very little resistence and no connection to earth.

Dave
14-07-04, 11:59 AM
Different type sender on the fuel tank, just try another one.

But test it by plugging it in and moving it by hand first!

They also work on voltage so if you have a short on the wire then it would be show full. get a wire tester and check there is a good wire between them, i.e. very little resistence and no connection to earth.

surely it there was a short that would mean then the other reading on the original dials would be wrong too? but that seems fine

wondered if there was a diffent plug pattern an that would account for it?
is doing my head in now :lol:

robb
14-07-04, 02:02 PM
It has to be something silly, I put GSi in and had problems, turned out to be a little switched feed wire not connected.

It could be the wire as you have disturbed it so just check that, won't be a different plug pattern on tank as you have not changed this, also check your wiring against the guide on www.nova-land.com

Dave
14-07-04, 04:13 PM
also check your wiring against the guide on www.nova-land.com

mikes site to the rescue.....hopefully! :lol:

Alex
14-07-04, 04:59 PM
have got the dash sitting in my garage so will trace the tracks round to see if there are any cracks, if there is how can it be repaired

I repaired mine by scraping off the plastic coating on the track and soldering a piece of wire over the crack. No problems in 2 years