PDA

View Full Version : Help me! race goers / experienced motorsport personnel

mikeoxford
09-07-04, 10:10 AM
Hi all.

got given a "Ultimate Drivers Choice" for christmas.

now the good weather (i think!?) is here i want to use it up.

I dont have a vast knowledge about what is on offer to me, so id like your opinions. Theres a selection of cars or things to do, and each one contains specific locations to do them in. (i dont know which circuit may be better for each either)

:arrow: Drive grand prix circuit.
silverstone
:arrow: Circuit racing
anglesey
brands hatch
castle coombe
knockhill
oulton park
pembrey
thruxton
:arrow: Single seater
silverstone
:arrow: Rally
brands hatch
knockhill
oulton park
silverstone
whitchurch
:arrow: Lotus elise
silverstone
:arrow: caterham
brands hatch
oulton park
silverstone

right now i am favouring the caterham around brands hatch ? only because i could book trax track time for silverstone see. and the caterham seems the best car to drive? im put off a lotus elise after caining one on the 1/4 mile :lol:

Jim
09-07-04, 10:55 AM
im put off a lotus elise after caining one on the 1/4 mile :lol:

Prove it :twisted: :wink:

Stay away from the single seater. I did it and it was boring. They only let us get to 4k rpm in each gear and couldn't overtake unless they said it was safe by showing a flag :(

Personnaly I'd want to have a go at Rally driving. You can do circuit driving in your own car at any time, but your not likley to go rally driving in it at any point.

Jim

ollster
09-07-04, 12:38 PM
brands hatch is my favourite circuit and i have seen most of them as i work for the btcc. If i were you i would go for the caterham series at brands hatch.

Ive just got a ferrari driving day fro my 21st, not sure which track i am going for on that though :D

Chris_W
09-07-04, 12:44 PM
I've done the rally driving at Brands, really good fun, but it all seems to be over too quickly, oh and the fact they make you drive a Peugeot :x

Chris

Dave
09-07-04, 01:25 PM
I've done the rally driving at Brands, really good fun, but it all seems to be over too quickly, oh and the fact they make you drive a Peugeot
Chris

i had one of these for my 18th went rally driving at silverstone in a ''rally prep'ed'' 106 gti was quite boring as the session only lasted about 8 shortish laps under controlled conditions (no more than 3rd gear an certain revs) an most of the day was taken up by safety briefs that went over the same things, think they say allow about 3 hours for the total expreience.

got home an had more fun hacking it round the fens in me nova.

mikeoxford
09-07-04, 04:01 PM
im put off a lotus elise after caining one on the 1/4 mile :lol:

Prove it :twisted: :wink:

Stay away from the single seater. I did it and it was boring. They only let us get to 4k rpm in each gear and couldn't overtake unless they said it was safe by showing a flag :(

Personnaly I'd want to have a go at Rally driving. You can do circuit driving in your own car at any time, but your not likley to go rally driving in it at any point.

Jim

got someone at work editing my VHS video into digital as we speak :) the lotus race was my best time at pod (been there twice now) ill get the photos and video up soon, the chap we got at work is editing it for me and adding moosic :D

the way the rally driving experience reads i cant make out if your aloud to drive, or if your a passenger. ill have to investigate further. im still fancying the catheram - its a single seater how will they know if u take it over x amount of rpm :D

Dave
09-07-04, 04:18 PM
im still fancying the catheram - its a single seater how will they know if u take it over x amount of rpm :D

probably cos you'll be goin ground in a big line with an instructor in the lead car controlling speed an you'll get black flagged if you do owt else

CP
09-07-04, 10:38 PM
I would look to go to Oulton Park - Silverstone and Brands may have you just doing the indy circuits.

caterhams or elises are both exceptionally good track day cars. quarter mile sprints tell you nothing about their true worth

cant really advise what format is best but i would think maybe going in an elise maybe best option cos you might get an instructor with you which will be best bet?

ollster
10-07-04, 12:38 AM
oulerton park is a good track jus watch for the storm drain in the middle of the bend at the end of the straight!!!!!!!!!

mikeoxford
12-07-04, 10:14 PM
i think ive made up my mind on the caterham. just gotta decide on the three tracks now, so anyone who has been to these or witnessed events that these your opinions please?

ive pretty much ruled out silverstone as thats pretty close to me, or in travelling distance if i wanted to take the nova on a track day.

so its oulton park or brands hatch which is the choice really.

thanks for your input guys

mike