PDA

View Full Version : Bashed steering wheel to get it off-now it creeks?!

dunova
08-07-04, 08:23 AM
I've recently tried to get my steering wheel off my gsi. At first i just unbolted it (left the bolt on a bit) and pulled on it v.hard (jerking it), then i tried a lump hammer, then i bought a puller-put it under a fook load of pressure and then belted it on the end of the puller-didn't work. Basically i've tried EVERYTHING and this wheel aint coming off! But anyway, my main concern is now my whell creeks and clunks when i turn-especially when i'm not driving, just turning the wheels on the spot. Have i fooked up the steering column? Anyone know if its easy to fix?
As for the wheel-i'm goin2 go down to the vaux dealer today-i know a guy that works there :wink:

Matt Nova
08-07-04, 12:53 PM
I've done exactly the same mate. My wheels bent and its smashed up but i'm gunna have another go today

Gunzi
08-07-04, 05:39 PM
best way I found is to loosen the nut (not remove it see carlton crazy in link)
http://www.novaload.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=64133&highlight=

then put you feet on the back of the footwell. hold the wheel and lift you arse off the seat. now rock that wheel from side to side with all the force you can, when it pops its done.

Saves smacking the steering column with a hammer!

dunova
09-07-04, 08:15 AM
I've tried it mate-i think my wheel is welded on :!:
The force that the puller puts on the wheel should have been enough alone to get it off-but even with me pulling on the wheel with the puller also under full pressure it wont come off-hence why i resorted to using a lump hammer aswell as the puller.

I'm not too worried about getting it off coz i think the vaux dealer will be able to-i'm just worried that i've fooked my steering column now+i dont know anything about replacing/repairing it. Is a new rack quite expensive?

rusty
09-07-04, 12:19 PM
you dont need a new rack, just the column. I think my scrappy asks about 15 quid.

One time when i was taking a dash out of a mk2 at the scrappy, i couldn't be arsed to take the wheel off, so i took out the column shroud and the stalks and unplugged the ignition barrel. Then i unbolted the steering column. Two bolts at the top (visible if you put your head in the footwell and look towards the sky) and one bolt at the bottom clamping it to the steering rack (behind the pedals) Then you just pull the steering colum out. Took about five minutes and no hammers involved.

However, i tried the same a few weeks ago but the column didn't have two bolts at the top, they were like tamper proof bolts (they had no head, just flat round caps like Cadburys Buttons)

dunova
09-07-04, 12:26 PM
Cheers mate i'll have a look :+: