PDA

View Full Version : who to go with for broadband...

broody
08-07-04, 12:42 AM
as im getting a new computer im going to be getting broadband, my line is BT broadband enabled, so, who do i go with, freeserve, virgin, AOL, BT.....so many,
can i have prices and comments on best to go with please.

ta

jkhilton
08-07-04, 05:25 AM
dont choose one of the cheap options(usually around ?19.99 or less) as they generally have a 1gb download limit each month. Go for one without a limit, it will really annoy you otherwise. AOL doesn't have a limit, but it is shite! so dont pick them! lol :lol:

have a look here for some info....

Broadband info (http://www.adslguide.org.uk/isps/summarylist.asp)

The prices it gives are the total cost over the 12 month contract period. I had BT for ease of installation etc, but since the fire in Manchester, their service has been rubbish, so I'd probably pick someone else now.

John

-Greg-
08-07-04, 09:38 AM
ive got telewest blueyonder high speed, 25 pound a month i think for unlimited access, i havent gone with any of the other companys because telewest is pretty good and i havent had any probs with them so far but in my opinion they are all the same just some companys charge more.

cooper_nova
08-07-04, 10:28 AM
i'm on aol and it woz $hit untill i used me mates drivers from his bt b/b modem when i lost mine and since then i have had no problems wiv it at all, and also i don't get kicked off line after 2hrs as i did b4 :) , and as has been said above aol don't have ne limits on the use of the service lke so many others do

nam
08-07-04, 03:53 PM
im on bt 512k, bt dosnt run as fast as it could do but it is ALWAYS on line and it still fast, i pay ?30 a month for mine but you can get one for 19.99 wich is still 512k but there are some little differentces.

look here:
http://www.bt.com/broadband/bb_info.jsp

hope this helps!

Nam

wisewood
08-07-04, 05:24 PM
Dont go with any of the household names. They're more often than not a load of poo.

http://www.eclipse.net.uk/

I know of a couple of novaloaders who use these people and have reccomended them to me for when i sign up to fatband in a couple of months time.

Philsutton
08-07-04, 05:32 PM
dont go with NTL bunch of rough arsed bastards

Stuart
08-07-04, 06:35 PM
i shall be going to eclipse in a few weeks when i move to my flat. may even find that 2Meg line kev was on about

wisewood
08-07-04, 06:50 PM
well you earn enough, and you're tight and wanted a cheap 1.2 project so you can afford a 2mb line cant you :D :D :D

Stuart
08-07-04, 07:15 PM
i earn fuck all :p

wisewood
08-07-04, 07:56 PM
lmfao - epo would sell you Jack for one month of your salary :lol:
He could buy half of scunthorpe with it :D :lol: :roll:

epo
08-07-04, 08:05 PM
dont go with NTL bunch of rough arsed ba***d

agreed am with em there useless the only saving grace is i got mine cheap only ?9.99 a month shame its run by a buch of monkeys

wisewood
08-07-04, 08:20 PM
and whatever you do, dont go anywhere near Tiscali. They're a joke... went to set up tiscali on a computer for someone and it came with instructions and everything so i thought i'd follow them just to be sure.

Even though the computer met the minimum hardware requirements, and then some (new computer), the software that installs the drivers for teh suppied modem didnt work. Nor did downloading an alternative driver from' tinterweb.

Phoned their tech support monkies and they talked me through everything i had already done twice and then said they would refer me to the backdesk support team, and then promptly cut me off. Call took about 15 or 20 mintues, after i had spent about the same on hold in the first place. Good thing it wasnt my bill or i would have been ranting!!!

epo
08-07-04, 08:23 PM
i had to ring cable tecnical suport rung them twice each time it said if u have this ring this number
if u have a silver modem ring this number

i got pished off so rung customer services told them to put me through to tecnical that way they'd foot the bill they took me through it all but it was a completly different way than the instructions said

Mel
08-07-04, 09:13 PM
u know what? thanks Neil, you saved me a post.

i live in a crap area, there is the adsl cables down, but i cant get cable tv/phone etc, so am with Bloody Toss3rs (BT lol) as i have no choice.

I was actually more swayed to Tiscali or AOL, as these offered broadband in my area (and for only a couple quid more than what im paying on 24/7 dial up lmao) for cheap (plus free connection/modem)

but thanks for the other sites, i will take a look at them. i could have gone with NTL but as a freedom broadband package (where they cant give me proper broadband, which i cant understand, but added with extras that i dont need or want lol)

cooper_nova
08-07-04, 10:43 PM
another good thing wiv aol is that there tech support is a free phone number 8)

burgo
08-07-04, 11:31 PM
ive got aol 1meg line never had probs with it and is ?30 a month with free modem

RobIsGrt18
08-07-04, 11:57 PM
try this .... www.adslguide.org

its a very good resource

i was gonna get broadband through work (currys) as you could blag freeserve and get a good deal like 16/17.99 a month

they checked the line and sent me all the stuff, told me to wait 10 days to activate which it never did, so i rang bt and they told me i cud'nt get it in my area (gutted) so i had to send it all back......was v.annoying!!