PDA

View Full Version : What Kind of welder do i need ?

ChrisGTE
07-07-04, 02:18 PM
I want to weld up some rust on my car but I dont know what kind of welder I need. It might sound like a stupid question but i really dont know lol :lol:

PAG
07-07-04, 05:33 PM
1st off work out how much you can afford. when buying tools and stuff its worthwhile to get the best you can afford!

mig welder whould most likey suit ur needs! stay away from the gasless ones in my veiw there pants

here are afew links!

http://www.bodyshopwarehouse.co.uk/meta/24.htm

http://search.ebay.co.uk/mig-welder_W0QQsacurrencyZ3QQsalocatedincountryZ3QQsoc urrencydisplayZ2QQsonewuserZ1

quite afew on ebay. if going for one new phone them up and tell them your needs for the welder they should find one for you! and ask if they will except a cash deal so dont have to pay vat!

burgo
07-07-04, 06:24 PM
if u dont even kno wot welder u need id let some1 else do it mate

Philsutton
07-07-04, 06:26 PM
ive got a mig welder an it does the job, but at the end of the day if you have a good welder and your s**t at welding then the welds will be s**t. Takes quite a bit of pratice to get it right.

Stuart
07-07-04, 06:35 PM
but the only way to get good is to acctually do it

spend about ?200 on a 150Amp welder and you should be sorted.

_JH_
07-07-04, 10:53 PM
spend about ?200 on a 150Amp welder and you should be sorted.

I agree there, and for ?20-?30 quid extra you'll be able to get an adaptor and regulator so you can use bigger bottles. don't worry about using an argon mix gas. CO2 is fine for car work, meaning you can use pub bottles if they're availible in your area.

I use a ?200 Ferm 150amp (roughly) MIG from screwfix, with an adaptor and regulator from Machine Mart (who didn't impress me from a Cust Serv point of view, but the kit is good).

-tucny-
07-07-04, 11:01 PM
if u dont even kno wot welder u need id let some1 else do it mate

we all have to start somewhere! if u dnt know how then learn. theres no point being one of those people thats thick as f**k n pays for everything to be done. yeah ok, it might get done quicker n look better by a profesional but youll learn. if you dnt have a go urself, ur pocket will be empty n ul still be as a dumb ass.

get urself a mig n practise. if you do get a gasless one then they usually come with pipes to convert it to gas. ul also need a grinder as ur welds wont be very flat till u get the hang of it.

nam
08-07-04, 08:26 AM
tuncy:
we all have to start somewhere! if u dnt know how then learn. theres no point being one of those people thats thick as f**k n pays for everything to be done. yeah ok, it might get done quicker n look better by a profesional but youll learn. if you dnt have a go urself, ur pocket will be empty n ul still be as a dumb ass.
:rant: :roll: :lol:

dunova
08-07-04, 09:23 AM
Why don't you just hire one for a weekend and get it all done? If its just a one-off thing i would-its about ?90 with everything you'll need to do it. If you're only going to be welding those bits and never use it again dont go out and buy one!

-tucny-
08-07-04, 01:07 PM
tuncy:
:rant: :roll: :lol:

oops, didnt mean to rant, just got a bit carried away! :oops:

nam
08-07-04, 03:45 PM
lol

robb
09-07-04, 11:03 AM
I agree, go and buy one, I got one second hand and got a bottle of CO2 from my local and just started to weld a few bits of scrap together! Oh I also had the luxury of borrowing my mates brand new Speedglass mask!

Just have a go on some scrap first. U'll get the hang of it, setting up is the worst part, takes longer than the actual welding!

ChrisGTE
10-07-04, 03:13 PM
Cheers

Adam
12-07-04, 07:17 PM
A mate has welder in his shed that i can have, i don't know anything about welding, but the welder says on Arc 150Amps, whats the difference between a MIG and Arc welder, and i always see professionals with a gas bottle, do all welders need a gas bottle.
And has anyone got any sites with guides and stuff on.
Thanks

robb
13-07-04, 09:05 AM
An arc welder is the ones with the stick that you just touch on to weld. Gas bottles are found hooked up to, most commonly, MIG welders.

If you can learn the art of arc then you are away with any really.

Also if it's free why not get it and try welding some scrap together to learn, don't forget you need a welding mask.

Adam
13-07-04, 08:36 PM
Ok thanks mate, the welder must be an arc one because it has like a handle with a thin metal pole on, whats the difference between MIG and ARC welders, is it the method they use to weld.
Also my mate has the mask to the welder, so it looks like i am gonna collect it tomorrow, do i just plug it in and then off i go.
Cheers for your help mate.

Stuart
13-07-04, 09:05 PM
good luck trying to arc weld bodywork.

its hard enough at times with a mig using 0.6mm wire and lowest current

so a stick welder usint 1.6mm rods will be a mare

Adam
13-07-04, 11:43 PM
Thanks Cambridge, fill me full of confidence :oops:
Why is Arc welding so hard, what makes Mig welding easier. :?: