PDA

View Full Version : Alloy wheel spraying

Dodge Dat!
07-07-04, 03:51 AM
Hi all can any 1 tell the best way to repaint a set of alloys?

IE: do i need a primer if so wot type?
what a good type of paint to use?
what sort of preping do i need to do to get good finish?
thanks all................
Dodge out.................................... :)

PAG
07-07-04, 07:07 AM
Paint and Materials

?Paint remover
?Etch primer UPOL PRO RANGE
?High build primer UPOL PRO RANGE
?Black aerosol
?Paint then clear. USE THE UPOL PRO RANGE
?Panel wipe
?180, 320, 800, 1200, 2000 grit papers
?Cloths and tack rag
?Paint brush
?Cardboard / brown paper
?Bucket of clean water

I always choose to use paint striper for best results saves cleaning the oil or grease from the wheels as it removes that as well as the paint. It also leave a bare metal finish perfect to work from. ( where thick rubber gloves harmfull stuff)

Lay the wheels on a table which is at a good height to work from. Lay some cardboard or brown paper underneath. Pour a suitable amount of paint striper in to a container. Have some gloves and a paint brush to hand.Apply the paint striper evenly all over the desired area. Using the paint brush.

Wait a few seconds after u have applied the first coat and u will see it lifting the paint off. Once the paint has absorbed the first coat and seems dry then u apply the second coat nice and thick this time. Go make a cup of tea then come back!

The next step is to remove the gunk use a plastic spreader to remove the excess gunk. Now that most of the gunk has been scraped off the next step is to remove the hard to get areas. I choose to steam clean it off.

Now the alloys are back to bare metal. Once they are dry you can check over the rims for bit bits of paint still on it. Use the 180 grit paper to remove those bits then quickly key the rims up. Then get ready to etch prime.

I etch primer as it will protect the bare ally from corrosion. Once u have blown the rims off and placed themon a table in a well ventilated area u can then apply the etch.

3 coats the 1st lightly covering the area mainly all the hard to reach areas 1st . The 2nd coat being more generous.
?3rd same as 2nd.
?Let it flash off competely. Dry times will vary on the conditions you spray in.

Once the etch primer is fully gone off, go over the rims with some 320grit paper this will remove any imperfections in the primer also give it a good key for the high build primer which is next applied.

Blow off the etch dust and clean the rims with some panel wipe on a fresh cloth then tac the cover to remove any dried dust.
?Now u can apply the high build primer use UPOL 2PAC HIGH BUILD PRO RANGE.

Once the primer has gone off u can test this by scratching your nail over the primer(it should not come off).
?Spray some black aerosol all over the rims.

The black spray is a guide coat which will show up any scratches and imperfections. Using some 800 grit wet n dry and some clean water start rubbing until all the black is gone. keep it wet and clean!

Now panel wipe and tack the rims off ready for the painting.

Now you have a clean and perfectly prepped set of rims ready for the base coat.get this in a ready mixed can. When ready apply the 1st coat covering over the edges and curves 1st.2nd over the whole cover wait for it to flash off then hit it again till it has covered

Once the base has fully flashed off u can look over the cover to see if there is any imperfections in the paint if u see any u can nib them out with 1500 wet and dry very lightly then dry off and put another coat of base over it.

Wait till its fully flashed off some colours take longer to sit down.
Now that you are happy with the coverage and its flashed off u can get the clear ready!

Apply the 1st coat not that heavy as its used as a foundation coat.
Once it is tacky( test a bit u cant see with your finger it should give a slight resistance on pulling away). Now its ready for the 2nd coat do a nice wet coat keeping an even distance from the rims. again wait till it goes tacky again then 3rd coat same as 2nd.

let it air dry times will vary loads so read the cans for dying times.

hope thats a help i know its alot to read but you asked!

Al Wilson
07-07-04, 12:02 PM
Just seen someones idea of spraying wheels whilst out. I'll post up the pic later... :lol:

Al Wilson
07-07-04, 12:09 PM
Here we go, sorry about pic quality - camera phone.

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v292/Alwilson/Sunroof/46690004.jpg

Overspray anyone????? And why??????? :D

Jules
07-07-04, 12:33 PM
That's not overspray!! He's obviously done it intentionally to make his 'alloys' look bigger than they really are - I mean look at them, they looks like 18"s at least!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

OK so maybe it is overspray!!

Jim
07-07-04, 12:48 PM
Some people need slapping :roll:

lol

Jim

Dodge Dat!
07-07-04, 01:15 PM
:D cool i knew 1 of u lot would av the answer thanks
time for spraying......
dodge out....................