PDA

View Full Version : steering wheel

newboy2thenova
06-07-04, 11:10 PM
hi all got an sr steering wheel but carnt get my original 1 off..tryed banging rocking and other ways of geting it off.any other ideas..soz i aint payin ?30 for a puller lol

AnThoNYnOvA
06-07-04, 11:42 PM
leave the nut on near the end for safety m8

then all you can do is spray wd40 and maybe grease or oil the thread and just keep on pulling maybe get a m8 and take turns

newboy2thenova
06-07-04, 11:44 PM
thnks m8 ..i'll have another bash 2 moz n see if i can get it loose

Jim
07-07-04, 12:46 PM
Its an arse, but if you can, take the front windscreen out. I was fortunate the windscreen was out when I changed steering wheels. I was able to hit the steering wheel with more of a swing (not a mad golf style swing) but there was more room to hit it. I also hit the steering wheel on the points where the "arms" come out from the centre. My steering wheel had been on the car since it rolled out of the factory, so if mine can come off, anyones can :)

Jim

Matt Nova
07-07-04, 03:42 PM
I'm doing mine at the moment been smacking the shite out of it with my bat and it still not budging! any ideas

Al Wilson
07-07-04, 03:48 PM
I'm doing mine at the moment been smacking the s**t out of it with my bat and it still not budging! any ideas

Just lube it up!!! But leave the nut near the end as said before and let it soak in. It will come off but may take time. The worse that can happen is you collaspe the steering column like I did. :?

Matt Nova
07-07-04, 03:51 PM
lol so far the top of the steering wheel is bent towards me! Right then use the good old WD40 then
hope this works

Al Wilson
07-07-04, 03:56 PM
Thats what I used mate. As the steering wheels bent I'm guessing you've been using enough force! lol! Best bet I found was rocking/jerking it forcefully (The steering wheel before anyone has any choice comments!) from left to right etc. It'll pop eventually!

Jim
07-07-04, 04:04 PM
If you can, hit it with a lump hammer (get them from most DIY stores). There fairly small and have a heavy head so you can still hit the steering wheel with some force from a relativley small swing.

Jim

robb
07-07-04, 04:12 PM
I used a hub remover, a hammer on a rod that you can attatch to nearly anything.

Borrow one from a garage or go there, take wheel off, do the nut up (not tight) drive home and then change it.

LEAVE THE NUT ON like the others have said, I told someone to and they didn't and broke their nose when it finally came off!

snapper
08-07-04, 11:19 AM
i used a crowbar on mine. well less of a crowbar and more of a massive fucking tyre iron :lol:

still didn't come off until i walked off to get a bigger hammer then it just pinged off and landed on the driver's seat :roll:

Matt Nova
08-07-04, 12:37 PM
Round two today gunna have another bash if not i'm gunna admit defeat and book it in at a garage :evil:

Ste_Nova
08-07-04, 12:54 PM
i stripped the coloum.. then hammere the wheel down :lol:

Matt Nova
08-07-04, 01:50 PM
i stripped the coloum.. then hammere the wheel down :lol:

How dya mean? I've taken off the plastic bit under the wheel to give more room for violence but bstard thing won't come off

Ste_Nova
08-07-04, 02:36 PM
i took it out of the car and took it apart :lol:

newboy2thenova
08-07-04, 05:12 PM
hay all..spent hour n 30mins last nite tryin 2 get mine off half a can of wd40 and lots of smacking with big hammer...
but in the end was siting there wondering wot now..n it just popped on its own