PDA

View Full Version : welding engine bay

clawsk
06-07-04, 09:23 PM
Got my engine out at the moment. There is some slight rust on the near side inner wing, goin to weld it to stop it eating away my car!

Need some info on what to do, wonderin about the selant stuff along th seams on the inner wing does it need removing before welding?

cheers :D

Philsutton
06-07-04, 09:38 PM
if your welding the inner wings id plate it over as it wont weld very well witht he sealant under it

Chris
06-07-04, 10:12 PM
keep cutting the rot back until you get to solid steel. This will stop it spreading anymore. IMO there is no point just plating over it.

Chris

-tucny-
06-07-04, 11:11 PM
iv got the same problem with mine. iv just sorted one side. i scraped all the underseal back from the inside of the arch, got my grinder involved till i found sound metal, which wasnt as far as i thought. the welded a plate along the seam of the inner arch n chassis leg. i also welded plates on the inside of the arch. n covered all the joints with polyurethene (spelling?) joint sealer. its obvious the t**t that put my car together was a bit tight with the joint sealer as there were little gaps every where, thus causing the rust over time.