PDA

View Full Version : Quick question regarding insurance

Anonymous
24-08-01, 02:15 PM
My insurance company will not allow me to make any performance or cosmetic modifications to my car. I however really want to get rid of my shitty steelies and the tyres are almost shot any way. What I plan to do is add some cheap GTE alloys until my insurance runs out in Feb, would this invalidate my insurance policy if I had a crash or the car was nicked?
What about if I had the wheels insured through a different company? Firebond provide this service for about ?10 a month.

Any help is appreciated, once my insurance runs out in Feb I can begin with the mods or I might just buy a SR :D

Anonymous
24-08-01, 02:24 PM
who's your insurance company ?

Technically, your insurance wouldn't be valid if you had different wheel on it to those that are listed. If you crash it, put the steelies back on it before the old bill or insurance check the car over. Half the time they don't even coem out to check it, or if they do you get a good fe wdays if not more to put the steelies back on. If it gets nicked then I'm sure your pretty fucked, unless you try and blag the fact that the wheels werent on there when they nicked it etc etc.

hope that helped.

woo hoo 3 day weekend !

Anonymous
24-08-01, 02:38 PM
if your insurance company find any reason why they dont have to pay out they wont. By putting on alloys (of any size) and not telling your insurance will void your cover. This makes the car more desirable to theives and they think you are a boy racer and they wont give you anything. They class it as insurance fraud if you dont tell them everything. but as damien says there are ways of getting around it, I certainly am not going to tell my insurance co my mods. But you have to be ready to face the consequences if things go tits up.

Anonymous
24-08-01, 03:45 PM
Insurance companies are tricky. Like Damian say's if you crash it (hopefully you wont) stick the steelies back on before they see it. If it gets nicked, don't tell them about the alloys. The co-operative insurance company don't mind cosmetic changes. The guy even came round to my house to view the car. When leaving the property he said, "oh I like you're wheels". He knew they were Alloys, but they don't mind that, plus they offered me the best quote for my car.

"It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile, winnings winning!"

Anonymous
24-08-01, 03:51 PM
Insurance is via the broker Hyperformance and the insurance company are called Provident Insurance. They gave me no discount for my alarm and my immobiliser either and I am tied into a contract until Feb next year. And the worst part is they still charge me ?1000 for a standard 1.2.

I think that I will forget the idea of alloys for now, I will save up for some decent ones in feb when I get a new insurer.

Anonymous
24-08-01, 04:20 PM
Your're tied to 'em??? Can't you cancel your policy at any time? They sound like right rip-off merchants....get away from them asap!
I only paid ?417 tpft on my 1.2L back when I was 18 with no NCD! I modded the car, had to change insurace companies, and it went down to ?350 ish (can't remember exactly!).

As for alloys, some companies don't mind 'em as long as they are Vauxhall ones, but charge more if they're after-market...stupid, but there you go!

Anonymous
24-08-01, 05:17 PM
it will void your policy.

hit a ?20k merc and kill sum 1 = you'll get 6 points for driving without insurance, a big fine, a ?20k bill for the merc, and a ?squillion for killing the person, and it's all on your head...:O

Nova Community
Visit: www.RoyBacer.co.uk
Email: Ged@RoyBacer.co.uk

[-monkcap.jpg-]

** WANTED **
Girl Friend for Monkey

Anonymous
24-08-01, 05:51 PM
I think someone(ged) has actually been listening to me telling him numerous times lol!

[-tommy.jpg-]

Just like that!

Anonymous
25-08-01, 11:12 AM
listen to ged man.

Anonymous
25-08-01, 03:08 PM
fit wide 13"/14" steels off cav astra with 13"/14" wheel trims
and if they ask u thought they were just the standard stuff!!!!
gsi lookalike = flair spoiler, spin bumpers, diamond wheels, antibies clocks, antibies steering wheel, vauxhall stone chip protection,
sounds shit.... looks like a gsi!!!

--- Novaload technical support open 24hrs ---
--- Phone/SMS Support 24hrs ---
--- Workshop services 6pm - 11pm Mon - Fri, 9am - 11pm Sat/Sun ---
--- 16v engine fitting advice ---

Anonymous
25-08-01, 07:25 PM
You can also get 15" steels from a MKIII Astra and others. Would you have to tell 'em you had 15" steels, or would you be ok without tellin' 'em?

There's a basic looking Corsa-A on http://www.hot-hatch.net/ that's got 15" steels on and it looks mint! (well, it will once the rust is fixed!) It's also a 1.3 Injection!!

If all you're bothered about is handling, you may as well get larger steels...just as good as alloys, and not much difference in weight!

Anonymous
26-08-01, 07:56 AM
the steelys i took off my vectra were 39mm offset 14" ers

they would look wide is feck on a nova (as long as u keep ontop ov the wheel bearings)

Micky@novaload.net :)