PDA

View Full Version : GSi transplant ignition problems

robb
06-07-04, 11:17 AM
Hi all,

I have just got my GSi lump wiring in and rewired most of the loom as it was a bit wrong and a few wires were a little on the dodgy side but it's all in fine now.

Now to the problem.....I have a spark coming from the coil along the king lead but no spark coming out from the cap to plug leads. Before you say the rotor arm or cap I have tried this also with an exact match from my old 1.8 lump which were fine.

The coil HAS a positive and negative feed from car and ECU loom also has the trigger from the sensor in dizzy attatched (otherwise there would be no spark at king lead).

Is there anything else I can try?

Or what could cause a weak spark? (not enough to jump through rotor to cap)

Thanks in advance as this is a long awaited car.

AnThoNYnOvA
06-07-04, 01:42 PM
check leads for a spark . or use a tester to test its volts. check the cap for cracks etc. a u got it in the right order? just a few things u can try

robb
06-07-04, 02:45 PM
I have a spark coming from the coil along the king lead but no spark coming out from the cap to plug leads.

Before you say the rotor arm or cap I have tried this also with an exact match from my old 1.8 lump which were fine.

Firing order is also set correctly

Thanks for a reply tho.

Also noticed that there is a crank sensor in the haynes book on how to check oil (f**kin mostly useless) but can't find one on my motor, although it could have been on of many engines that are randomly photgraphed in the book. I have a blue wire that seems to go to the fuel relay (NOT used) that is not connected to anything but wire seems different diameters at relay and at end, can't find in wiring diagrams in haynes.

Ta again

Will F
06-07-04, 11:46 PM
Hey up!
Crank sensors were only on the dis pac varients of the Gsi, ie no coil etc.
These were on the late K platers with the lambda etc.

Its also weird that you have the main spark, but not the others too!
If need be yu can borrow a dissy?! lol

AnThoNYnOvA
06-07-04, 11:47 PM
the earth wire is ok? maybe is rusted and is not letting it out

robb
07-07-04, 09:19 AM
Earth wire??

If there was no earth then I wouldn't get a spark from the coil to block, where the spark plugs earth to!?

I might need to borrow a dizzy please Will, I have tested the (???) hall effect sensor on dizzy between 1.8 dizzy and GSi dizzy, both 3 wire items, now we have noted all wires in loom and checking against book to see if there are any dodgy ones.

And I thought there wasn't a crank sensor on Motronic but Haynes has a whole generation of pictures in the same place.

Erm I can borrow a van tonight to get dizzy maybe???

Cheers

Aragorn
07-07-04, 02:42 PM
there shouldnt be any connections to the coil from the car loom...

the coil should only be connected to the engine loom and the dizzy is also connected to the engine loom

if your gettin a spark at the king lead then the only thing that would stop it getting to the plugs is the rotor or cap

a faulty dizzy would mean no spark as the only thing that the dizzy does is houses the hall sensor which if it was faulty wouldnt provide a spark at all

1.2i nova's use the same ignition system so u might wanna try getting a complete dizzy, module and coil off one of those in the scrappy

robb
07-07-04, 03:34 PM
I have got a good hall sensor as I have checked it against another working one, module is untested as yet, coil and cap and rotor are from a working example from old engine, coil has a connection to car loom which could be the cause of the fault, I also have a blue wire going into the ECU which is unconnected at other end and is not listed in haynes, there is a green which is not present at ECU plug.

I do have a spark from coil to cap, no spark from cap to plugs. Weak spark then? Prob these few wires that are thought to be wrong at the mo.

Will check entire loom to ensure the connections run by the haynes then start kicking when I still have no spark.

Thanks all u guys for the help.

Till tomorrow.....