PDA

View Full Version : What shall i do?

seanp1
05-07-04, 08:13 PM
i've got about ?250, should i spend it tuning my 1.2i a bit or should i put it in the bank for a year or so until i can get a more powerful car.
I'm 17 so i cant realy get a bigger engine until my insurance goes down.

what do people reckon?

Mel
05-07-04, 08:50 PM
well, lol..

personally, mods are great, except for the insurance premium. my premium is an extra 150ish quid with mods (15's, GTE sideskirts, lowered, backbox, clear side repeaters, debadged) i am 19

at 17, imo, it would be better to get some alloys or cheap styling mods. i dont think its worth tuning the 1.2i at all, but thats just my opinion. engine mods, afaik, shove up the premium a lot and not many companies will be willing to give you a quote, let alone a premium, especially at 17.

i would either get some cheap styling mods to give you a car that you can afford power wise, and that you can pick up the NCB in, OR i'd save up the money and in a couple years, maybe drop in a 1.4 or 1.6 (depending on age/experience etc). :wink:

Jim
05-07-04, 09:05 PM
If your really desperate to modify it, then I'd get some new susspension. You can get a full kit for ?200 that will lower your car 60mm. Even with standard wheels it'll make the car handle a little better. With the other ?50, take it to a garage after about a month so you've given the kit time to settle then get your tracking aligned and camber adjusted for the 60mm drop. Your car should handle better and will look better.

If you sell the car after a year, and get another nova, you should be able to transfer your susspension over to the new car.

Jim

seanp1
05-07-04, 09:10 PM
i've already done all the styling im gonna do to it, 16's, lowered, flush tailgate ect. but im just looking to get a bit more power form it it.
If i put a bigger engine in, like a 1.4 sr would the insurance be the same as a sr or would it be more.

Jim
05-07-04, 09:30 PM
i've already done all the styling im gonna do to it, 16's, lowered, flush tailgate ect. but im just looking to get a bit more power form it it.
If i put a bigger engine in, like a 1.4 sr would the insurance be the same as a sr or would it be more.

Ok, you didnt say what you had done.

Insurance...it depends who you go with, but you're asking a whole different quesion and opening up a can of worms that gets opend every other day, lol.

Youre only 17. Why not get a few years NCB under your belt before you start going for bigger engines and more power.

Jim

Mel
05-07-04, 09:40 PM
lol, which is what i said in the first place :lol:

seanp1
05-07-04, 09:55 PM
yeah your right, i was just wondering about the insurance cost for the future.
cheers for the help

epo
06-07-04, 09:32 PM
also if u start tuning ur 1.2 up u should also inform ur insurance company of any engine modifications which bud bump ur insurance up a little