PDA

View Full Version : Water pump

bucket 'o rust
05-07-04, 09:06 AM
Should I have changed it? I ask as it seems that there is a myth flying around saying that when a new cambelt is fitted the pump has a further life expectancy of about 50 miles before failing quite spectacularly!

Has many peeps had this problem? How common is it?

david dixon
05-07-04, 09:47 PM
It'll be fine, The only reason it would brake after fitting a new cam belt is cos you've over tightend the new belt! :D

LiD0N
05-07-04, 11:22 PM
i would change it if i was you they are only about ?20ish and if u have the belt off u might as well.. dont forget to put some vasaline or sealant round it tho so it doesnt leak..

AnThoNYnOvA
06-07-04, 02:33 AM
y replace if its not broken ? i cant see any problems either apart from if the belt is to tight

LiD0N
06-07-04, 09:07 AM
well on the c20xe engines (not sure bout these) i have seen cases of the water pump seizing and shreding the belt causing the obvious.. so for the sake of ?20 i would replace even if there is no problems with it.. especially if you are unsure of the history of the engine or aint changed it for ages..

robb
06-07-04, 09:10 AM
It's not the pump that fails it's the rubber ring for a gasket on the pump, you are supposed to loosen the water pump and turn it to loosen the belt and turn to tension the new belt.

I would replace the ring seal as these cost pence and are the cause of most post-cambelt changed cars.

(Or change it without loosening the belt :roll: )