PDA

View Full Version : spraying advice

LukeManic
03-07-04, 07:05 PM
lo guys, just a bit of advice on spraying...

i want to spray the plastic strip on the boot

http://www.manicsonline.com/uploads/boot.jpg

Any advice on prep and spraying would be great, like how many coats
and what equipment will be required.

Thanks in advance.

dan-hipgrave
03-07-04, 07:22 PM
Below is the order in which i did mine:

-Open boot and remove trim panel inside
-Locate bolts holding on boot trim and remove them (3 bolts IIRC)
- Sand the trim to remove any imperfections/scratches and to give a key for painting
- Give it a wipe with meths to degrease and clean the surface
- Spray with an appropriate primer, sand down with a fine grit paper to get a smooth finish, keep building up small coats of primer until a smooth finish is achived all over.
- Spray with the colour of your choice, as above, building up the finish with small coats of paint.
- lacquer it to achieve a shiny finish

LukeManic
03-07-04, 09:30 PM
ok cheers m8

Mike.
04-07-04, 01:08 AM
i sprayed that on my car last week, easy really the thing to watch out for is ordinary primer, it won't stick to the plastic, use plastic primer and then what ever colour u like cost me about a tenner.

AnThoNYnOvA
04-07-04, 01:31 AM
yes plastic primer is the dogs logs you have to use that on a gte spoiler 2 if your spraying.

100% get plastic primer or i you wont be able to spray it properly

epo
04-07-04, 08:26 AM
while uve got it off u cud always delock it smooth over it like

LukeManic
04-07-04, 10:00 AM
how many coats of primer and how many coats of paint though guys? and also how long is it best to leave each coat for.

Another thing is my garage has no heating will this be a problem? :?

Mike.
04-07-04, 10:04 AM
when i sorayed mine i used about 4 or 5 thin coats, its better to do it like that becausae if you just do one single coat you run the risk of drips and runs, and thats the last thing u'd want

(same with top coat)

epo
04-07-04, 10:05 AM
it might go dull mate either wait 4 a well hot day of put some heaters in

Mike.
04-07-04, 10:09 AM
yeh the heat will make it dry a lot faster 8)

LukeManic
04-07-04, 10:12 AM
k ill get a heater in there - thanks for your help guys, have to get some pics up soon and i need to get some novaload stickers too as this site/msg board is making things possible :)

smitty5door
04-07-04, 10:19 PM
dnt use cans either get it professionally done or use a compressor juust make sure you know what ur doin b 4 u use one though:D

LukeManic
05-07-04, 01:51 PM
how long do i need to wait for the main paint to dry before i can spray lacquer on it?

Mike.
05-07-04, 03:16 PM
i think about a hour 8)

LukeManic
05-07-04, 04:03 PM
just one hour!?

smitty5door
05-07-04, 04:13 PM
remove it then spray it with plastic primer then spray whilst off. if you do spray it make sure to spray the lok it looks betta

Mike.
05-07-04, 04:14 PM
some thin like that, it depends on how it dryed i.e heat would make it dry quiker

LukeManic
05-07-04, 04:57 PM
wont do any harm if i left the paint dry for 24hrs then spray the lacquer will it?

-tucny-
05-07-04, 05:09 PM
it dosent matter if you leave it 24 hrs before you laquer it no, but you will have to key the painted surface again. do this with about 1200 grit wet n dry. if u havent got ur paint yet n ur gonna use cans then get halfords or even better holts. they spray a lot finer than most other makes. only use tetrosyl (car plan) in ur desperate. dnt always listen to what colour primer they recomend cos sometimes it aint right. about three coats of paint n two of laquer should be right. if youve got any marks from ur spray afterwards then flat off with 1500 then even 2000 grit wet n dry(wet). a tcut n a polish will give u a mirror finish. be warned if u lay ur coats off laquer on too thick it can dry dull in places. but this can polish out or another thin layer over the top will get rid.

LukeManic
05-07-04, 05:12 PM
thanks for all that, im just thinking whats best i can spray the lacquer on within the hour like, just want the best finish so i was thinkin another 24hrs would be wise? Just want the best finish no short cuts like :P

-tucny-
05-07-04, 05:31 PM
paint in cans is usually cellulose based which drys fairly quick. they say on the cans that u shoulnt cut or polish for a up to a couple of weeks to let the paint cure properly but this isnt really neccesery. if you laquer soon after it should be ok but ur best leaving it 24hrs or so before compounding n polishing. spraying with cans is so easy when u know how so ul get the hang of it quite quick.

LukeManic
05-07-04, 05:37 PM
ok, cheers for that m8 :)

Adam
05-07-04, 06:36 PM
i think about a hour 8)

To get the best finish most places say to leave the top coat for 24hours before applying laquer.