PDA

View Full Version : Removing a sterring wheel

Matt Nova
03-07-04, 03:10 PM
I need to get my steering off as bought another one. Any ideas and what tools to use? cheers lads

dan-hipgrave
03-07-04, 03:44 PM
Draper do a GM steering wheel puller (?17.60 plus postage), its best to buy one of these even though you may only use it once as it makes the job so much easier. If you dont want to do that then your best bet is to loosen the nut that holds it on, but dont fully undo it as it'll save your teeth when the wheels pops off, and then pull like mad.

DUNOVA.
03-07-04, 05:59 PM
The steering wheel puller :lol: ouch :!: it's a mission gettin a steering wheel off it took me and a mate ages to get mine off with the puller there not worth a wank :twisted:

dan-hipgrave
03-07-04, 06:03 PM
yeh i know, mine didnt fit the steering wheel holes, but i knew i wasn't going to need the steering wheel or puller again so i hammered it into place and then used it to get the wheel off :lol:

-tucny-
03-07-04, 06:09 PM
use a puller. dont worry about the feet not fitting in the holes, you can buy different size pullers that will fit. with the right puller its a peice of p**s. after all thats how a garage would do it.

General Baxter
03-07-04, 06:24 PM
yep i spent a night in hospital after pulling and pulling and pulling then pop, bang in my face :cry:

lost one of my front teeth, :o :)

Rach
03-07-04, 06:35 PM
yep i spent a night in hospital after pulling and pulling and pulling then pop, bang in my face :cry:

lost one of my front teeth, :o :)

PMSL.... :lol:

sorry mate, that must have really hurt... but funny image though

General Baxter
03-07-04, 06:36 PM
there blood in my car due to it :(

but my carpets red so you really can not see it :)

i was crying like a little girl, no offence to little girls and all :P

Rach
03-07-04, 06:39 PM
ouch...

LiD0N
03-07-04, 06:42 PM
i cut mine of with a grinder but i didnt want the old wheel :lol:

General Baxter
03-07-04, 06:43 PM
but thats cheating

Rach
03-07-04, 06:50 PM
lol...

i know a few people who have loosened them, and then driven the car around till it's come off... :roll:

probably not the best of ideas though... lol :?

novahead
03-07-04, 11:30 PM
lmao, that wot me m8 did. lucky he was only doin 10 but it shit him up like f*ck. lol, :o

sTuDeNt
04-07-04, 02:24 AM
I did mine with the puller, but the one i gt from halfords was for bearing so the legs did not fit, i had to improvise and cut the rubber off my old one to get puller legs to do it. Be careful when it comes off it comes off like a bullet. :twisted:

rysmee
04-07-04, 03:44 AM
http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=15251

has done the job every time for me.

Metromartin
05-07-04, 02:07 AM
had this problem too, nut cam off but wheel wouldn't anyway put nut back on a bit so not to do what the poor lad on here did, ngot a club hammer and practised on a scrap nova, just so happened to be a opel corsa 1.3s on a C reg and hit the wheel from behind until it cam of and it did, then did it on the K reg Astra SRi wheel we wanted and the standard mk2 nova wheel.
So this hopefully never happens again put a bit of oil on the threads so it never sticks over time again!

HTH

Martin

dunova
05-07-04, 08:11 AM
I've been trying to get mine off with a draper puller+i've cut abit away so that it fits round+my wheel must be welded on there. I've had the puleer ounder fooking loads of pressure then cloated it one with a lump hammer afew times and there's no way its coming off.

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=15251

has done the job every time for me.

Does this tool fit in those holes in the centre of the wheel?
I think i might just take mine to the vauxhall dealer+slip a guy a tenner to get it off :idea: