PDA

View Full Version : Timing on C12NZ??

bucket 'o rust
03-07-04, 02:20 PM
I'm a bit confused, the haynes says (in the supplements section) that I don't need to adjust anything as the ECU controls the timiing automatically.
Is this right?

The car starts fine as well considering it was my first head gasket change I've done! But I get a 'blapping' noise from the exhaust intermittantly and revs die albeit very slightly at the same time (at idle).

With respect to the 'blapping' noise, it sounds like a quick puff of smoke coming from the exhaust once every 5 to 10 seconds. (but without the smoke though!;) )

Adam
03-07-04, 11:53 PM
Are you sure your exhaust isn't just blowing :?:

rysmee
04-07-04, 04:46 AM
yeah it depends on what engine you have.
i believe the later gsi's (with the crank sensors and coil pack)will automatically adjust timing as the ecu can tell where crank is- so can advance or retatard the spark accordingly.
any other engine and the ecu will asume the user has set the timing correctly to the marks, and you can adjust the timing from dizzy cap.

how long has the engine run since you have done the gasket?
it may need a good few miles before it settles itself and runs smoothly.

bucket 'o rust
04-07-04, 01:20 PM
Its only been running for a couple of days now, maybe done about 20-30 miles.
If the exhaust is leaking though it would be from the manifold to downpipe joint, wouldn't that cause the car to stall though?

Nick
04-07-04, 11:09 PM
i have the same problem in my 1.2

is yours an 1.2i or a 1.2 carb ?

the problem with mine is that the idlejet in the carb is blocked, cuaisng the car to idle a bit erratically, this was checked by a mechanic at vauxhall.

it could be a simialr blockage in your SPi injecion ssytem ?!

bucket 'o rust
05-07-04, 08:52 AM
Its a 1.2i.

It starting to sound like a missfire now. :( But my best guesses now would be either a fuel problem (tank was empty prior to gasket going) or my dizzy cap is getting to old.
Either way it shouldn't be too long now, a couple of days at best. ;)

Thanks chaps :)