PDA

View Full Version : Oil light

retrosi
01-07-04, 09:06 PM
my 13sr oil light comes on when the engine is warm and idling. When the car is moving the guage sits about half way.....and when the engine is ticking over above 1000rpm the guage shows a quarter. Why does the light come on? The oil levels are fine. No oil leaks. Could it be the oil switch? Anyone had the same prob? What about changing the idling rpm or could it be the oil pump? Any suggestions welcome!

Riggy
02-07-04, 02:06 PM
it could be the oil pump but its only a small chance the most realistic answer would be a defective oil pressure switch

carl

rysmee
04-07-04, 05:32 AM
yeah had this same prob with my sr, i'm guessing it was down to low oil pressure and /or the engine running too hot and the oil thinning too much as the engine blew after a few months!
does it flicker on and off when cornering sharply too? (maybe a sign of oil pump not coping?)
if you dont want your engine to die a gruesome death then i would check out why that light is on as it means something!

mowgli
04-07-04, 04:59 PM
maybe the oil switch is failing or even shorting out with a bit of road grime
but if it still does it with a new switch, your car probably needs a crank grind and bottom end rebuild.

It really is not that bad to do work like this yourself.

the crank wear means at idle the oil pressure is quite low. at increased revs the oil pump will supply a lot more oil and cope with the wear.

retrosi
04-07-04, 05:24 PM
okay...all possibilities i have thought about.

The sr has only done 18k and is a f reg, one granny owner....never gone above 30mph so a bottom end rebuild is probably not necessary! FINGERS CROSSED!

The oil on the dipstick seems really thin so im going to change the switch and check the wires, after an oil change with 10w40. A new oil pump (geniune GM) i have sourced i can get off partz stock mangement for 60 quid if i need it.

Cheers for the suggestions and any more welcome