PDA

View Full Version : gear box stuck in reverse

johnnynova
01-07-04, 01:26 PM
reverse light one, tried setting up via haynes, same shit, need to put clutch down to start car, as sson as i lift it goes backwards!

can i fix this or take it to a mechanic??

cheers
john

robb
01-07-04, 02:18 PM
You have the gear linkage set up wrong!

From what you have said the gearbox is already in reverse, so all you need to do is loosen the linkage bolt and get a mate to hold it in reverse but loosly, he/she don't need to give it hell, just to where reverse should be, do up the linkage and see if you can get all the gears (R-4/5) if it is tight into 1st then loosen it again and get them to move stick sideways 5-10mm. opposite for a tight 5th.

Riggy
01-07-04, 04:52 PM
how i set my gears up is undo the selecta linkage
put the gear selecta into neutral and put the 4.8 drill (i think into the hole to lock the linkage into position
get a friend to hold the gear stick to the left (in the middle of 1st abd 2cnd)
the tighten the seleta rod back up

:D

johnnynova
01-07-04, 05:00 PM
i tried setting it up liek this but no luck!

i followed the haynes and liek u said but a drill bit/allen key in the selecta hole to hold it into neutral, but even when the pin is in, gear stick disconnected when i start the engine i need to put the clutch down otherwise it starts going backwards!?!>!>??

where ever i put the gear selecter (moving it directly at the box) the reverse light stays on, so sum how i think its jammed.

realy annoying as i need me car and it sounds sweet now!

i will try again and let you know.

but i did try putting it into reverse( the gear stick) then doing it like that but no luck.

cheers

john

LiD0N
01-07-04, 05:11 PM
i had the same problem but mine was locked in 5th gear, someone told me that u may be able to unlock it by dismantaling box but i never botherd ended up gettin a new gearbox has your gearbox been sitting around for a while cos mine had and i think thats why it locked...

johnnynova
01-07-04, 05:13 PM
yeh it has/was, i realy can't afford to get a new one and this one has a 4.18 dif so i want to keep it.

fuck man, thought it would be sum easy thing shit, reckon a mechanic would do it for a small fee??

cheers

john

LiD0N
01-07-04, 05:15 PM
well i think the only way of unlocking is to dismantle the box.. im sure a mechanic would consider it yeh but i doubt he we guarentee u that he can unlock it...

johnnynova
01-07-04, 06:03 PM
there must be a way to do uit without taking the box out the car!?

any1 got ideas?

cheers

john

Stuart
01-07-04, 07:09 PM
you in north london (or preferably north OF london lol) ?

a gearbox rebuild is fairly easy. jsut it seems sacry lol

M_U_T_A_N_T21
01-07-04, 07:11 PM
try adjusting the linkage with two people you need to mark it really wheneva you take it off while some1 sits in the car keep moving the linkage adjustment down the shaft and keep getting the person in the car to tell you whats happening and if you take the linkage off select the gears with your hand where it gos into the gearbox to see if you can get gears or not

robb
02-07-04, 08:57 AM
If your gearbox is locked, never seen one before, then it is prob best to get the haynes out and see how it all fits together and then have a go at removing things to unlock it. You can always buy a new one if you screw it or get a mechanic to rebuild it.

Riggy
02-07-04, 02:03 PM
does the box go into any gears on the selecta mate try it with out the shaft connected this will tell you if it locked and save some time , it happend to me when i put my 1.4 in the box i got would move at all so i had to buy another for ?30 and put it in will be a half day job and you will need some new gear box oil (2litres i think but dont quote me)

VAUXSPORT
02-07-04, 06:51 PM
Hi there, try removing the selector cover from the top of the gearbox.
then pull out the selector lever and re insert it in the correct posistion.
We have had cases where the selector jams a gear. ok. :D