PDA

View Full Version : brakes!!!!????!!!

NoVa_KhAn
29-06-04, 10:45 PM
a couple of days ago my brakes have been so crap the squeak and pull 2 1 side when i brake 1 time it pulls right then next it pulls left there drivin me mad

anyone know why?

cooper_nova
29-06-04, 10:53 PM
pads on the metal?
warped dics?
sticky calliper?
all i can think of at the mo

DirtyDave
30-06-04, 03:12 AM
it sound like your callipers are stickin, or mayb your master cylinder is becoming knackered and only supplying one side at a time with fluid but its unlikly, i would strip your brakes down and have a look for corrosion, check the sliders r free and chek that the pistons are moving freely, ather than that i don't no what to suggest!

Elthrin
30-06-04, 08:30 AM
Has anyone actually seen a warped disk.

I hear people go on about this all the time but have never come across anyone that has actually found the disk to be warped.

I can understand a disk ending up with thick and thin bits due to hard brakeing and brake disk deposits building up on the disk but I dont understand how on a standard road car the brakes could get to a high enough temperature to actuallt warp.

Anyone know any different?

As to your problem it sounds like one of your pads has worn down to the metal.

If it is that then it will be the opposite side to which it pulls.

srs1
30-06-04, 09:19 AM
i would say it was a sticky caliper.

as for warped disks, every drove your car really hard and used your brakes really late and heavy. well constint abuse like that can lead to warping your disks, also hitting large puddles under heavy breaking can help. plus a poor disks not made proper.

Elthrin
30-06-04, 09:49 AM
I can understand a disk that was made incorectly being warped but still I am not convinced about the warped disk theory.

I am pretty sure that what people refer to as a warped disk is actually uneven wear on the disk.

I am sure the rotors don't get anywhere near hot enough to actually warp to whole disk.

Elthrin
30-06-04, 09:54 AM
Maybe I am wrong though.

cooper_nova
30-06-04, 09:55 AM
I can understand a disk that was made incorectly being warped but still I am not convinced about the warped disk theory.

I am pretty sure that what people refer to as a warped disk is actually uneven wear on the disk.

I am sure the rotors don't get anywhere near hot enough to actually warp to whole disk.

i can personally vouch that the rotors do get hot enough to warp as i have warp several sets of discs onon 3 different types of cars as i use my brakes as late as possible and i am hard on me brakes too :)

Elthrin
30-06-04, 10:03 AM
I stand corrected then.

It was just that I have never seen any technical documents on testing of brakes that have been warped and what causes it.

It just seems to be a term that is thrown around to describe the way the brakes feel when they have eneven wear.

I would emagine you could get a warped effect by having one pad produce more friction than the other and being used under heavy braking.

This would lead to the rubbing surface being warped but the actual center line of the rotor still actually being straight.

Will look into it, just because I want to know.

cooper_nova
30-06-04, 10:08 AM
I stand corrected then.

It was just that I have never seen any technical documents on testing of brakes that have been warped and what causes it.

It just seems to be a term that is thrown around to describe the way the brakes feel when they have eneven wear.

I would emagine you could get a warped effect by having one pad produce more friction than the other and being used under heavy braking.

This would lead to the rubbing surface being warped but the actual center line of the rotor still actually being straight.

Will look into it, just because I want to know.

warped discs usually cause a juddery pedal when braking and cause one side to drag more on the brakes than the other side if u have only warped one disc, one of the most common causes of warped discs is when u r braking v hard and late all the time on a long run in freezing cold conditions as the rotor is constantly heating up and cooling down causing it to warp