PDA

View Full Version : need advice is a wide arch kit worth it???

Brigstadmd
29-06-04, 03:12 PM
i have a 1.2i merit+! i got the full kingdom kit and i got a 50mm wide arch kit cheap and i do want it on! my best mate works for a bodyshop so thats no problem i just wanna no if ya think it is worth all the hasel n cost? and do i have to change out else apart from the arches?? like shocks n ect! cheers ppl :)

5_door owner
29-06-04, 04:22 PM
you will either need wider wheels or a wide track kit so the wheels fit right under the arches or it'll look shit, how much did ya get em for and how much will ya sell em if ya not usin em' :D

DazK
29-06-04, 04:38 PM
in my opinion wide arches should only really be used for functionality not for looks.

look back thru this forum, this topic has been raised a few times recently, and wide arches need ALOT of work to get right.

Brigstadmd
29-06-04, 04:44 PM
like i sed fittin is no truble just i dnt wanna have to start changin loads of stuff just to fit them! if all i need to do is cut ma arches and put sum bigger wheels on that aint no truble at all! and yes if i dnt fit them the are for sale!

epo
29-06-04, 07:01 PM
it'll certanly look origional mate

cooper_nova
30-06-04, 08:55 AM
as daz k said it is a lot of hard work to fit a wide arch kit, and even more time and hard work to make it look goodbut if u wanna fit it then do it and all the best to u!!!!!

DazK
30-06-04, 04:22 PM
Heres a copy of a PM Brian sent me ages ago regarding wide arches.

the quality is quite rough from the mould as this kit is designed for rallying and not the perfect finish of a road car.Headlights/indicators and rear lights all have to be cut from the panels so that alone take a bit of work!
The front is a replacement wing. after a lot of cutting and fitting it bolts on. the rear and sils have to be rivoted to the car. the rear arch is rivoted to the car just below the side windows, down the door opening across the sill and also around the rear lights. then fibreglassed over the rivots and finally filled.
the old rear arch must be cut away. What i did and believe to be the best option is i put a series of cuts up wards on the arch. bent it inwards and upwards. welded to the inner arch. then the gap between the new arch and old must be filled to take the bad look out of it. i plated it. welded to the inner and fibreglassed to the outer. finally sealed up completely.
Its not something anyone could just tackle so unless you reckon you are able for this sort of thing get someone qualified to do it for ya as it would only get frustrating.
bigger wheels could be fitted at this stage but the right offset to fill the arches is the thing.
I fitted Group A wide track suspension. this means the et49 rule applies as the track is now wider filling the arches. this gives better handling as well as filling the arches but the discomfort in fitting this is a personal choice. (its fully rosejointed so no front bushes)

:+:

brian
02-07-04, 06:32 PM
That was a good while back alright Daz!!