PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best amount to take off the flywheel?

dunova
29-06-04, 11:35 AM
I've heard 3kg is a good amount to lighten it by-anyone know if this is reasonable? Its a h-plate gsi by the way
Any help good :)

david dixon
29-06-04, 07:38 PM
If you can get 3kilo's off a gsi fltwheel that'll make one of those realy light but be warned if you ever decide to fit a paddle clutch it will warp the flywheel, This happens because paddle clutchs run very hot more so on pulling away!
What price have you been given for lightening the flywheel as I can get them done to any spec(within reason) for ?80 plus p&p.

dunova
29-06-04, 08:31 PM
I haven't got any prices coz it wont be for afew months yet, but when i need it done i'll get in contact with you. I wasn't sure weather to get an upgraded clutch-what benefits do they give? If i do get a black diamond clutch would 2kg be a safe weight to take off?

S_Gault
29-06-04, 11:22 PM
no

it all depends exactly how much and from where.

to have most effect take it from periphery, but avoid going thinnner than 0.180in as iron doesnt have tensile strngth, and remeber the load increase with the sqaure of rpm.

Buy a steel one if its a competition car.

Steven

dunova
30-06-04, 08:14 AM
I haven't got any plans to be using it as a competition car. What do you mean 'the load increase with the square of rpm'? Is there a clutch i could get that isn't quite as 'heavy duty' that would make lightening the flywheel more straight forward?

Gunzi
30-06-04, 05:53 PM
I had 1.5kgs shaved off my GSi flywheel, got a local engineering firm to do it, cost me ?40 + VAT.

dunova
01-07-04, 08:53 AM
How did it feel with just 1.5kg taken off? I'm not sure how much to have taken off coz i don't want to lose to much torque but at the same time it want it to be v.responsive through the whole rev range-so any weight suggestions? 2 kg's sound more like it :?:

Gunzi
01-07-04, 04:37 PM
made a difference, revs much more freely now. I'm happy with it.
1.5kg was the engineering companies recommendation!