PDA

View Full Version : random container on an SRi

Potswalker
29-06-04, 12:26 AM
I have a 1.4 SRi and in the drivers side arch a have a random container linked up to the inlet menifold and other things aswell.have no idea what it is but it looks important.doea anybody know what it is???!

Potswalker
29-06-04, 10:29 AM
its about the same size and shape as a tin of beans and has three pipes going into the engine bay. one goes to the front valance and is a breater pipe i think, one goes into what looks like the back of the throttle body and the other dissappears towards the interior of the car. very confused but want to rip it out. also where is the ecu in an SRi?

Elthrin
29-06-04, 11:32 AM
It is something to do with reducing emissions as I remember.

I think the Can 'O' Beans is actually an active coal filter.

Ste L
29-06-04, 12:46 PM
the ecu's under the dash on the passenger side of the car :)

Dpnova
29-06-04, 12:51 PM
its a carbon catch tank, it got in my way when i needed to take my bumper off so i just removed it, as far as i know it didnt do that much

Riggy
29-06-04, 05:46 PM
its called an active carbon cannister and is something to do with emissons but dont think its important
:D

Philsutton
29-06-04, 05:56 PM
i found one on mine a few weeks back, from when i had a 1.2i. It had to go think of all that weight your draggin round damn thing.

nova_rally
29-06-04, 07:05 PM
Active Carbon Canister - removes cntainations from petrol etc, stops the Cat converter from being killed.

Alan

Stuart
29-06-04, 07:55 PM
its acctually to filter the tank vapor as it vents it to the outside world.

richness wont kill a cat btw. its lean and hot that they dont like :D

Potswalker
01-07-04, 12:10 AM
i've taken the cat off when i got a full magnex system but still get a rank egg smell at times when i open it up. is it cos of this and will i miss it if it comes off?

Ben
01-07-04, 01:39 PM
richness wont kill a cat btw. its lean and hot that they dont like :D

a bloody hard kick will work.

Ste_Nova
01-07-04, 03:06 PM
i've taken the cat off when i got a full magnex system but still get a rank egg smell at times when i open it up. is it cos of this and will i miss it if it comes off?

if you still get the smell then the cat is still there...

what system did u fit?

dunova
01-07-04, 03:10 PM
[/quote]if you still get the smell then the cat is still there...

what system did u fit?

I know his cat is definately not there, its a full magnex system for a gte

dunova
01-07-04, 03:11 PM
That quote went quite badly wrong :roll: :lol:

Ben
01-07-04, 03:28 PM
i bet that fits well!!!

dunova
01-07-04, 03:40 PM
Fitted perfectly mate-no alterations whatsoever

phazer
02-07-04, 09:20 AM
The full magnex system for an SRi or GSi is only cat back though....and all the pipes were labelled as GTE items on mine anyway.

Mine fits alright too. Only tihng I ended up doing was having a custom downpipe and cat bypass made to raise the exhaust up a little cos it scraped like a b@stard everywhere.

dunova
02-07-04, 10:02 AM
The systems we both got were off ebay and they are gte systems that have now been dis-continued-believe me, neither of them have cats. Mine went on my H-plate gsi-before the cat was introduced. I had to have mine modded to fit a 4-branch coz it didn't line up properly, i just had an extra bit of pipe welded on at the end of the manifold so it lined up

Aragorn
03-07-04, 12:25 AM
i fitted a GTE system to my 1.2i using an SRi manifold and downpipe

no cat and a few extra horses

and there aint no cat reek from it now either - just stinks of fuel if u rag it and pops on overrun :D - i prolly damaged the lambda moving it over which would explain the slight rich running

i also thaught rich running caused the excess fuel to be burned off in the cat which consequently melts its internals??

Potswalker
06-07-04, 02:34 PM
it is definately a de-cat system as the cat is now in my garage...and it went straight on. Sounds good and it all helps the bhp but not sure about the emmissions yet. Think I'l just pull it off and kill it for all the grief its given me when i've been fitting bumpers. whats the worst that can heppen! Cheers for your replies