PDA

View Full Version : The day has arrived!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adam
28-06-04, 06:32 PM
Tomorrow, 9.37am, write it in your diaries, my first practical driving test, and i must pass..
Please give me any tips, and of course give me some luck :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Rach
28-06-04, 06:45 PM
good luck mate...

just try and relax, you know you can do it or your instructor wouldn't have put you in for your test.

dont worry if you're nervous, it's only natural, and the adrenaline does help...

:D

Adam
28-06-04, 07:20 PM
Thanks rach. :D

dan-hipgrave
28-06-04, 07:30 PM
good luck mate, ive failed twice already, both times on stupid things, just remember that if you make a mistake dont think about it otherwise you'll just make more and more, just carry on concentrating on what you are doing..

DUNOVA.
28-06-04, 07:35 PM
Good luck mate :wink:

Snowface
28-06-04, 07:35 PM
if you have put in the work and are prepared for it then you should pass.

a lot of people have a few lessons thinking they will save money and then turn up thinking they will pass. Well truth is a lot of them don't.
And it ends up costing them more in lessons and tests and agro.

Adam
28-06-04, 08:23 PM
Thanks everyone.
Finger crossed :P

Mel
28-06-04, 08:50 PM
good luck matey

Matt EvoVI
28-06-04, 09:55 PM
Good luck fella, just keep your eye on the road and you can't go wrong. 8)

nam
28-06-04, 10:13 PM
good luck mate, cant give you any tips as am only 16 lol

nova m@rk
28-06-04, 10:20 PM
all i can say being as i failed is take your time
as i rushed i got 2 majors but everything else was
perfect hence only got 3 minors but just dont rush
Good Luck :wink:

BigRuss
28-06-04, 10:27 PM
The day before I sat My driving test (13 years ago - CHRIST :o ) I had a major row with the girl I was seeing. On the day of My test I couldn't care less if I passed or failed, I passed and the only point I got picked up on was doing 55mph on a 70mph dual.

Motto to the story:

Don't worry about it, go in to it with the attitude that if You pass You pass, if You fail You fail - so what. Just re-apply if You fail.

Jordi
28-06-04, 10:29 PM
i had mine on same time on sat and passed.

Heres my advice from the experience.....

Talk to the examiner straight away, be confident to talk to him while driving. Study the car and remember answers and how to check things such as lights. When u get in the car, make sure its in neutral, hand brake is secure before starting up. Look both ways twice at junctions, get in plenty of mirrors.

If u get on A1 or any sort of slip road, remember to check over shoulder as well as mirrors.

My dad says if u head bk or think u are in about 30mins of test, u normally passed. The 45mins is incase u struggle with nerves in the 1st half of test, giving u a chance to regain and show that u can do it.

Best of all good luck. Be calm, its not end of world and its not that hard. Let us know how u do.

sh0rty
28-06-04, 10:34 PM
Talk to the examiner straight away, be confident to talk to him while driving.

I tried to make conversation with mine, and had abrupt no's or continue straight please etc. I wouldnt recommend speaking to him apart form hi unless you are spoken to lol. Hes there to examine you not be your friend :?

Good luck, make sure you are doing the limit if it is a dry day. U DO get marked for being under limit too lol. I did. Others did ^

Jordi
28-06-04, 10:36 PM
Talk to the examiner straight away, be confident to talk to him while driving.

I tried to make conversation with mine, and had abrupt no's or continue straight please etc. I wouldnt recommend speaking to him apart form hi unless you are spoken to lol. Hes there to examine you not be your friend :?

Strange...i had a good chat with mine, found out where he lived, how long he worked for, wot car he drove, how many tests a day they did, he cracked afew jokes and was generally chatty once i spoke to him, i talked to him during manouvers too, i just kept up my observation and control too. Depends on the examiner i suppose, but it made me feel calmer talking to him.

peester
28-06-04, 10:38 PM
shorty ya skirt wasn't short enough maybe.. then he would have of chatted all day long..lol.

sh0rty
28-06-04, 10:41 PM
OI lol ! I wore trousers actually so that may have been it. he was well grumpy though, whereas my instructor cracked jokes and took the P* out of people constantly

Adam
29-06-04, 01:50 PM
FAILED.
I can't believe it.
2 minors for normal road position. 1 serious for one side of the car on the line during a bay park. It was that close that i thought it was in the bay so didn't move forwards to straighten up.
Its true about the half an hour thing Jordi said, i was back in half an hour and failed at the last hurdle.
It is a bit harsh though, why couldn't the examiner give a minor, it was a woman.
2 minors, she commented on a excellent drives, she said it was one of the best drives she had in 6 years of examining.
Sorry about the language, but it is fcuking boll**ks, a fcuking disgrace. Those were the words of me instructor
:lol:
Watch me on me next test have to do an emergency stop and a more difficult manouvere.

novaal
29-06-04, 04:08 PM
ah sorry to hear that man!

I passed today though! My 2nd time, so better luck next time round!

Jordi
29-06-04, 04:17 PM
yeah get it booked again, 10days aint too long. Women are worse for failing says my instructor.

Riggy
29-06-04, 05:17 PM
sorry to hear that mate but get it booked as soon as :D

Adam
29-06-04, 07:46 PM
Can i book straight away, whats it about ten days. Do i have to wait ten days before i can ring up and book again.

And by the way, did you read what i failed for, with only two minors. Seems pathetic doesn't it. :evil:

Mel
29-06-04, 08:02 PM
unlucky matey. better luck next time.

i think its been said before a loooong time ago, but if you pass first time, you're statistically more likely to have an accident within ur first year. no idea if this is true, it seems it tho, cause this happened to me and me bro. we both passed first time :lol:

epo
29-06-04, 08:39 PM
gutted for u matey

Jordi
30-06-04, 12:48 AM
Can i book straight away, whats it about ten days. Do i have to wait ten days before i can ring up and book again.

And by the way, did you read what i failed for, with only two minors. Seems pathetic doesn't it. :evil:

you can book right away but it cannot be within 10days after ur 1st test.

so say u had it on 16th n failed, u can book it for 26th or after.

cooper_nova
30-06-04, 08:25 AM
soz to hear u failed matey beeter luck next time, don't take it to heart and as jordie and others have said book ur test again asap, as there is apparently a 2month waiting list, if that is the case then book ur self for ne cancialtions too, that way u'll have more chance of retaking ti sooner and all the best for next time :)

Dpnova
30-06-04, 11:27 AM
Sorry to hear that

Adam
30-06-04, 07:06 PM
I so should have passed :evil:

I have just booked another test, 24thAugust.
Can you beleive that. 7 weeks 6 days and counting :D

Jordi
30-06-04, 07:25 PM
cool. Only 5days waiting list at our local test centre. good luck next time

Adam
30-06-04, 07:54 PM
cool. Only 5days waiting list at our local test centre. good luck next time

5days.
My 8 week test date is the earliest possible. :roll:

Rach
30-06-04, 08:02 PM

i think its been said before a loooong time ago, but if you pass first time, you're statistically more likely to have an accident within ur first year. no idea if this is true, it seems it tho, cause this happened to me and me bro. we both passed first time :lol:

ditto here, passed first time and crashed within a year... :oops:

My 8 week test date is the earliest possible.

you might be lucky, there could be some cancellations...

cooper_nova
30-06-04, 08:38 PM

ditto here, passed first time and crashed within a year... :oops:

i passed first time and had to claim wivin a yr coz me car caught fire as i woz driving along :o

Rach
30-06-04, 08:53 PM
LOL...

sorry mate, but you gotta admit it's funny...

:lol: :lol:

cooper_nova
30-06-04, 09:21 PM
LOL...

sorry mate, but you gotta admit it's funny...

:lol: :lol:

lol yeah it is now butwozn't at the time!
i saw it woz alight got out legged it 200yrds up the road and it went BANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, and that woz the end of me 1st car :cry:

Rach
30-06-04, 09:27 PM
ah bless...

:(

Mel
30-06-04, 09:37 PM
lol, see, almost everyone i've spoken to thats passed first time have had some sort of accident/claim in their first year of driving. mine thank god was a non-fault accident..although it did write the nova off totally..definate non repairable.

lol@shaun...bless ya..i would have been gutted..although i did experience my car setting itself on fire, luckily, it was small and stopped when i turned the car off (starter motor went).

there is usually a long waiting list for exams. take my test centre for example, it acts for two towns in my area (that i know of) so the waiting list is usually 8 weeks minimum :lol:

epo
01-07-04, 05:48 PM
i passed first time and within 2 months had wrote me 1st car off in2 a lampost :oops: :lol:

music junky
03-07-04, 01:55 PM
I passed mine in 1990 after three attempts, the thing is im happy i didant pass on the first and second time becouse i wasant ready to drive.
All your mates are driving and your getting lifts off ya mates and its a downer, but soon you will be driving and will be talking about when ya passed ya test years after.
Once you pass your test there isant an instucter sat besides you and you have to act very fast to avoid some nob on the road.
Most of the time when you go out for a drive so do all the other nobheads as well.
The main things on a driving test are, that you have complete control over the car at all times.
You obay the speed limit and are curtious to other road users and that you use your mirrors before doing anything and always double check.
Never take a risk on your driving test becouse you wouldant want anyone else taking a risk with you.
Common sense is all that is needed to pass and when you use common sence you will be able to rip the stupid l plates up.
Ive been driving since 1990 and ive never had a speeding ticket or points on my licence, thats becouse i will have a short burst of putting my foot down where i know i can go fast.
Also there is always a copper round the next corner waiting to screw ya driving up and give you a nice ban.
Just be carefull have fun and dont let Pc plod take away the best thing in your life besides a jump :-)

Mel
03-07-04, 08:18 PM
you're 100% right.

ok, so you missed out the first time on your test, but believe me, it is the best thing out there to wait for. while you have to wait for your test, it gives you the extra few lessons that give you the extra knowledge than someone who passed first time. plus stops you having a claim of some sort within ur first year of driving :lol:

General Baxter
03-07-04, 08:32 PM
have to wait 11 weeks for a test in sutton coldfield :(

music junky
03-07-04, 10:48 PM
When you go on your first driving test it will be like dateing a girl for the first time.
You wont know what to say or do, you will say something totally stupid and regret it for the rest of your life.

Your new nova is parked outside and you only have a learner licence!
Your dad takes you out for a quick lesson but gets pissed really quickly at the mistakes you make, your mom is more understanding when you grate the gears and says dont worry love it will come.

Talking to the examiner dosent really work! most of the time becouse he thinks your another tosser thats going to go past his house with loud music and do wheel spins outside his house.
He dosent want to pass you But he has to pass someone today and that might as well be you.
The best thing is just to say good morning or good afternoon and to ask him what number plate he wants you to read.
That way he knows you know the drill and he can get started with your test.
Show him to your car get in and put your seatbelt on and make sure its out of gear then check the mirrors.
If before you set off and their is a wall behind you ? always look over your shoulder becouse even though there is a wall behind you and you dont look back ? he can still fail you.
He will ask you to start your engine and set off when your ready, before you set of look in your mirrors and always look over your shoulder.
Looking in your mirrors is ok, but the reason to look over your shoulder is there for a reason.
Imagine a motorbike or a push bike ? you look in the mirror and there is nothing there ? then you pull out and get hit by a motor bike or push bike ? instant fail.
Built up areas are always 30 mph and so is lamp posts! lamp posts are always there to tell you its a built up area or your approaching one.
If it says 40 do 40 becouse you can fail for going to slow!
Always slow down in plenty of time and watch for things that could happen ? like a child running out or some nutter opening a car door and making you fail.
I slowed down becouse a pedestrian was at the lights but before i slowed down i checked my mirrors to see noone was behind me.
The examiner said i was curtious to pedestrians and said i was a plesure to drive with.
He can only fail you if you make a dangerous mistake or are a danger to yourself.
Also never get too close to a car in front becouse he will fail you and leave a safe stopping distance just in case he has to stop.

Mel
04-07-04, 01:17 PM
perfect explanation of what to do.

but you missed, use your mirrors at ALL times (speeding up, slowing down, before and after a turn etc) and make sure you use the indicator appropriately. dont signal too late, and dont signal too early :wink: