PDA

View Full Version : best method of welding new engine mounts

-tucny-
27-06-04, 11:54 PM
im about to weld in new mounts for a C20XE engine. iv noticed the existing mounts are spot welded in place. i have a mig welder n was wondering if this would give a strong enough weld as the mount would be holding a lot more weight.

Elthrin
29-06-04, 12:38 PM
Depends on how powerful your mig is really.

MIG welders tend to deposit a lot of the weld on top of the join.

I think if you want to get a strong weld then an ARC welder would be better.

I'm not really an expert on the matter but when I have welded with a MIG I have found on several occasions that it looks like a good weld but has not really penetrated and is therefore week.

I have never had anything that I ARC welded break on me.

Stuart
29-06-04, 05:26 PM
use a mig and seand weld the mount in. use it on fairly high current to penetrate the metal.

then use the mig to stitch the rest of the engine bay and chassis legs/suspension bits etc.

-tucny-
29-06-04, 05:31 PM
my mig should be able to weld metal of about 4-5mm thick which is about right for the mount n chassis leg. i think il stick a couple of bolts through either side aswell as weld just to be safe. iv taken the complete front panel off so iv got access in to the box section too. im just paranoid that my engine might fall out!

has any one got any pics of the new mounts in place?

_JH_
29-06-04, 06:30 PM
when I have welded with a MIG I have found on several occasions that it looks like a good weld but has not really penetrated and is therefore week.

I have never had anything that I ARC welded break on me.

not being rude, but it sounds like you know how to use an arc but don't know how to use a MIG.

I've been advised before not to bother with a MIG on anything over 6mm, even if the mig is supposed to be able to handle it. use a good quality arc. slightly off topic I know, sorry.