PDA

View Full Version : 1400 turbo

benji
26-06-04, 10:50 PM
thinking of buying a cheap 1.4 nova and sticking a turbo on it. but need abit of advise first.
will a 1600 head lower the cr enough to or will i still need to use 2 head gaskets/a spacer plate?
are the 1600 and 1400SRi injectors the same?
will be using a mappable ecu so thats not a problem.
what turbo should i be looking for? and what car could i rob one from?
wastegate's???? do they come built in to the turbo are they adjustable?? i know naff all about turbos.
Oil/water feeds to the turbo?
exhaust manifold, what happens with this bit then. i have some idea but not entirely sure. how far up or down does the turbo sit?

cheers

ben.

lol. just re-read that lot and by the looks of it i don't have a chance, but i'll give it a go.

AnThoNYnOvA
26-06-04, 11:36 PM
why not just get a 1.6 and put a turbo on that the money is gonna be round about the same

benji
26-06-04, 11:37 PM
i fancy a 1400

m.d.
27-06-04, 12:18 AM
if you have a 1400 it would be a novelty as its not done that often. im also thinking that the block would be stronger due to smaller pistons and thicker side walls. so may take better to the boost

benji
27-06-04, 10:17 AM
not worrying about big boost yet, just about getting it working.

Elthrin
29-06-04, 03:18 PM
An astra 1.7 diesel van has a Garrett t-15 turbo on it.
This is a very small turbo and can be picked up cheap as they are off a diesel. According to garretts web site they are designed to work on up to 1400 cc petrol engines.

The link below is a company that uses it on the ford KA1.3

http://www.vanaaken.com/europe/turboconversions/KA.htm

Get the down pipe, turbo and front section of the exhast off an astra 1.7 turbo diesel.
Use the flages off the 1.7 exhast system to convert your existing exhaust manifold ( or use them a a template to have a custom manifold made)
You will have to make/have made some custom pipes for the intake side.
I presume there is an air flow metre that will need to be put before the turbo as you can not pressurise them.
If you have a ECU you can program then the setup should not be that difficult.

Problem with all of this is it is diffiult to say what sort of return you will get on your money.

I think I did hear of someone useing the turbo and pipes from a renault 5 GT-TURBO. May be another option to look into.

Elthrin
29-06-04, 03:28 PM
May also be worthwhile to have a look at a FIAT PUNTO 1.4 GT TURBO.

Not had a look under the bonnet at what they have but would be worth a look as it is a 1400.

benji
29-06-04, 04:54 PM
cheers mate. that helps alot if i can use a astra turbo.