PDA

View Full Version : Diamond Cutt Cav GSi wheels

Nick
25-06-04, 09:58 AM
I saw someone's feature car that had diamon cut cav Gsi wheels.

Just wondering what this process involves,and rouhgly how expensive it is per wheel ?

my mate wants it doing on his

cheers

rodgerq
25-06-04, 02:14 PM
i think it just means they are faced off in a lathe using a diamond tipped tool. gets a really good finish on the wheel

rodgerq

m.d.
25-06-04, 05:05 PM
diamonds are not normally used on lathes and definately would not be used on alloys as it would cause the diamond to shatter due to an intermittant cut. carbide or HSS maybe.

im not sure but i think it might mean the finish that is on the wheels. unless im wrong and they are using diamonds now. would have to be a beast of a cnc lathe to fit a wheel on tho. could be done i spose

rodgerq
25-06-04, 05:28 PM
yeah actually you could be right about the tips breaking.....but i have seen machines capable of taking much bigger things than wheels. machines that you could virtually walk into.

rodgerq

m.d.
26-06-04, 12:43 PM
true they have them in the dockyard by me.

i was looking arround work yeturday and found a cnc lathe and mill combo that would take a set of 17s :o

i wonder how they get the prfile right when programming it. must be a nightmare

rodgerq
26-06-04, 07:30 PM
a wheel is probably quite an easy thiing for a cnc machine to turn out actually. theres not much to it.

i saw a program on discovery one time and the guy was machining his own wheels on a cnc mill. it was excellent seeing it cut the rim out of a blank bit of alloy.(magnesium i think they were). the finish at the end was shit hot!!!

rodgerq

m.d.
26-06-04, 07:45 PM
must have been well expensive to buy a billet of ally like that

rodgerq
26-06-04, 08:00 PM
there was no expense spared at all with the full car. it was a full ally car. bare metal finish hot rod car. it truely was impressive and they team of guys doin the work were artists, not mechanics. even the engine was full ally. everyting all polished up to the hilt, a beautifull bit of kit it was!!

rodgerq

m.d.
26-06-04, 08:16 PM
i wondeer if its on the net somewhere