PDA

View Full Version : cavy gearstick selector in a nova

rodgerq
22-06-04, 11:03 PM
i think if im not mistaken ive seen this done. whats the point in it? is it a better linkage setup or what? we have a spare 1.6 cavy sitting takin up space and i was gony give this a go if theres a good reason for it....

any gen, pics etc

cheers

rodgerq

Austin_Nova16
22-06-04, 11:19 PM
I did have one in mine. Fitted it to bring the lever up a bit higher, and to bring the selecter rod inside the car (freeing up a bit of space). Also, I think it gives a better feel to it.

http://volcano.photobucket.com/albums/v11/Austin/gear-lever1.jpg

novashed
22-06-04, 11:23 PM
im also preppeing the area atmo for a cav mk3 gear lever linkage, i noticed a bend in the selector rod coming out of yours austin, did you that as you have a raised platform which the housing sits on?

Austin_Nova16
22-06-04, 11:28 PM
Yeah. I just positioned the lever at the height I wanted first, and then did the adjustments to make it fit. I may still need a bend or two if it were sitting flat on the tunnel, but you'll have to see i guess.

I just cut it and welded it to sort the bends out, but it deffo will need the shaft shortening.

rodgerq
22-06-04, 11:29 PM
so austin is your just goin through the bulkhead and connecting onto the normal nova linkage then? did it makie mush difference

rodgerq

Austin_Nova16
22-06-04, 11:35 PM
I retained the nova bit of the linkage. I thought it was ok, but to be honest, I havn't driven the car for about 7 months or so, and only had it in there for a couple of months prior, so I can't remember that well! :roll:

It was nice to have it up nearer to the steering wheel, to give most time with 2 hands on the wheel; as when changing gear, I didn't have to reach half as far.

novashed
22-06-04, 11:37 PM
i think thats more of the point in doing it rogderd, rather than having that bend upwards underneath, plus the nova linkage wears out quick and is very sloppy.

ive also moved the handbrake to the middle, further forward and higher up, its awkward where it is standard. plus i can mount a hydraulic cylinder to it maybe :?: (sorry to hijack with this bit)

i do like your motor austin, all done by your own fair hands just like me :wink:

m.d.
23-06-04, 06:42 PM
austin were you at the last castle coombe action day. cos my misses swears she saw your car there

Austin_Nova16
23-06-04, 07:07 PM
Yeah mate. Was just spectating all day(ie. havin a smoke in the sun :wink:).