PDA

View Full Version : Puttin pistons and crank back in!

clawsk
22-06-04, 06:24 PM
Just got my engine back from the machinists. How much would somewhere charge me to fit the crank and pistons back into the block?
The pistons are on the con rods and the crank has new bearings and shells to go on.

Cheers for any help

S_Gault
22-06-04, 06:36 PM
It depends if you are sorting out deckheights etc and checking bearing clearances, rod enfloat and sorting it all as you go along. - Proper engine prep.

Or as most do- throw it back together-

Steven

clawsk
22-06-04, 06:39 PM
So how much would a proper prep cost? how much to throw it togethor?

Cheers

mowgli
22-06-04, 08:39 PM
if you are using stock height pistons, then just get a ring compressor from you local factors and follow the haynes book. it should take you a couple of hours. make sure you buy an oil pump recon kit & new seals.
use the best sealant that you can afford and just take your time with it.
you can then tell everybody that you built it yourself.

MC
23-06-04, 10:00 AM
It is easy to do a simple build, just take your time, make sure everything is well lubed and spotlessly clean.

If you still want a build done for you, it shouldn't cost much as it is an easy and quick job. If you want a 'propper prep' then contact a company like Velos for a quote. They charge reasonable prices.

MC

S_Gault
23-06-04, 10:56 AM
To have a it done professionally then its gonna cost around ?200.

but if anything is found outside tolerance then you've got the machining on top of that and an hourly rate of about ?23 quid.

I cant be more honest than that. Most go together very straightforwardly, its knowing what to do when things arnt right.- like in the latest 1300 i did, the crank had practically no endfloat.-

Do you a/ hope for the best...

or b/ sort it properly by taking it all apart again.

Steven

_JH_
23-06-04, 11:09 AM
I bought a book from amazon a while back about head work as it had info on building your own flow bench and there was a book that was on a reduced price deal if I bought them together by a guy called Des Hammill. I got it and found it very interesting, (although probably old hat to a pro) and wished I'd bought it years ago infact. It goes through everything in great detail. you may find it a bit laborious and repetitive, but I suppose to build an engine right is the same.

ISBN 1-874105-85-5

'How To Blueprint & Build a 4-Cylinder Short Block For High Performance'

S_Gault
23-06-04, 11:19 AM
yea but there are several flaws in the data- he talks about measuring bearing crush- this is fine but it doesnt allow fro the fact that a bearing journal can be tapered along its length and oval too.

The peter burgess book you bought on head work also has some wierd data about 16v head details. which in practice with a Superflow flowbench like mine just arent true,

Steven