PDA

View Full Version : ENGINE SWAP

portadownfc
22-06-04, 09:35 AM
i am swapping a 1 litre engine for a 1 litre enigne in my mates car. i was just wantin to know is their any else involved apart from changing the speedo mileage, like changing engine numbers and so on

any help greatly apperciated

cheers

John

robb
22-06-04, 10:12 AM
Why are you changing the mileage?

You should keep the mileage of the shell of the car.

It would look dodgy at MOT station with a big miles gap inbetween the MOTs!

You will need to change engine numbers on the log book.

Also may I suggest a 1.2 or 1.3 or 1.4 replacement if you haven't thought of that cos a 1l is a bit restrictive.

Robb

portadownfc
22-06-04, 04:45 PM
yeah im gonna change the mileage to the mileage of the new engine.

i am swapping like for like cos im gettin the 1 litre engine from the shell car for free

cheers

john

Alex
22-06-04, 04:46 PM
leave the mileage the way it is

Aragorn
22-06-04, 06:23 PM
the mileage on the dash is totally irrellevant of the engines mileage

its the mileage the entire vehicle has covered

if u went and baught a BRAND NEW engine from vauxhall u couldnt set the mileage to 0 - that would be illegal because its the shell as a whole and not the individual components that matter

as for the above if your taking a broken 1.0 out wtf are u replacing it with another one for

at the VERY least shove a 1.2 carb engine in there from another nova

its simply not worth the effort keeping the original engine if your hauling it out - cos the 1.0 is a shite engine in comparison to the 1.2> OHC engines

_JH_
23-06-04, 10:12 AM
if he wants to stick with the 1.0 then its his choice. apart from maybe the MPi engines, no nova engine is particularly exciting as standard.

and as for it not being worth the effort, changing engines like for like (especially a 1.0 pushrod engine in a nova, where there is bags of room in the engine bay and not much to disconnect) when the donor is still in the car to compare stuff with couldn't be easier. it won't take long and will be a good experience for anyone learning about cars.

oh yeah, DON'T change the mileage, your gaining nothing, but its your choice