PDA

View Full Version : rear headrests + seatbelts

mowgli
21-06-04, 10:55 PM
Hi I am looking to fit rear headrests & possibly a third inertia reel seatbelt (3small power crazy children) into a 3dr mk1 any help would be appreciated
Please send me any relevant pics

Mowgli (madsaunders@ntlworld.com)

Jim
22-06-04, 09:42 AM
Can reatr headrests be fitted to a Mk1 rear bench?

If so, then...

The rear headrests should be fairly straight forward. If you feel along the top of the rear bench you should come across 4 small holes (they'll be around 10mm in diameter). Get a knitting needle or something similar to pierce the fabric. Get yourself down to Vauxhall and get some belmont headrest guides (someone will have a part number for these ones or others that will do the job). Put the guides in the holes and then slide the headrests in place.

With regards to the third seatbelt. Again, it depends on the Mk1 and if they have the seatbelt holes for a lap belt in the middle.

Jim

epo
22-06-04, 08:23 PM
am sure ste will have the part number

as for the seat belt do u mean lap belt or do u mean what the new clio comes with the seat belt mouted in the roof :?

mowgli
22-06-04, 08:45 PM
ta for that, I never thought a belmont would be mentioned on a styling forum.

the seatbelt should ideally be an over the shoulder type. as it is only for a 2 year old on a booster type seat, I am thinking of fitting one onto the seat back and over the top of the backrest.

epo
22-06-04, 09:17 PM
dont know if it will work but surely if uve got a rear strut brace u cud mount a seat belt off that as ive seen harnesses mounted of them

Jim
22-06-04, 10:18 PM
You wont be able to fit a "normal" style of seatbelt in the middle. Theres probably loads of strengthening and saftey regulations regarding those seatbelts, hence why the wern't introduced until fairly recently. Also, I'd advise against securing it to a strut brace as the seatbelt could slide along the strut brace and choke the child :|

Tbhy, if your concerned for the saftey of your children in the back, then get another car, or fit a lapbelt and put the child on the booster seat in the front seat.

I don't know the ins and outs of it all, but these are my thoughts. You may want to do some more research on the matter before making a decision.

Jim

mowgli
25-06-04, 08:57 PM
as far as I can tell, the rules for child seats and belts are an absolute lash up and they need updating now. The standard belt could do some serious damage on anyone below the age of 12. I am planning to fit a strengthening support behind the seat back (mounted to the shell) so the child sitting in the middle has a proper shoulder belt. I am going to get in touch with a seat belt manufacturer (classic car type) and get a bespoke one fitted.
The car will be used daily for at least the next couple of years to carry the kids so what's a few quid for peace of mind.