PDA

View Full Version : Polished Rocker Cover help !

Nick
21-06-04, 04:27 PM
I need a new rocker cover gasket n i saw a nice clean un corroded rocker cover in the scrappy yesterday so i taxed it.

Thought that i may as well put a nice shiney n even Polished rocker cover on at the same time !

I know they r steel, but is there any way of polishing them up ? using a dremel multitool prehaps ? would i need to laquer it ? or will it go rusty ?
Anyone got any cool pictures of ones they have done ?

Also, i've heard it's not worth buying cheap replacment gaskets for like 2 quid cos they r crap, is vauxhall or autovaux the best bet ?

I'm presuming it's just a straight swap being careful to not get anything in the OHC ? never touched this bit before.

dan-hipgrave
21-06-04, 06:35 PM
i used a lot of Autosol metal polish when doing mine and after a while it began to polish up nicely... :D

Jim
21-06-04, 07:14 PM
metal polish and some wire wool should sort it out. The wire wool may not leave it with a mirror finish, but it'll look better than it did.

Jim

nova_rally
22-06-04, 10:21 AM
Gunk to clean it up, then fine wet and dry then a good dose of Autosol to give it a shine. You'll have to keep polishing it every now and then to keep it shiny though.

Oh, and It's not steel is a light Aluinium Alloy so it won't rust at all. Get a rubber impregnated Cork gasket, only ?1.99 from Partco.

Alan