PDA

View Full Version : Advice sorely needed

BigOliR
21-06-04, 08:36 AM
I have a '91 J reg 1.2i Nova. It's my first car, and as yet, I know nothing about engines. So I need your help!

I would like a new exhaust system (probably from a GTE/GSi), or just a new back box. Max money = ?150

Something to bring in more air, and most importantly, make a better noise. Induction kit isn't available, so would a bolt on K&N filter work? If so, which one? As there are lots for different carbs. Max money = ?100

Full Suspension kit. Improve handling. Not bothered about lowering onto alloys or anything, I just want to get round those corners quicker. This may include strut brace. Max money = ?320

I realise I am driving a 1.2, so I am never going to go fast, but I would like the exhaust and air filter for the noise rather then performance. If anyone can help me out, that would be awesome. Cheers.

Aragorn
21-06-04, 11:11 AM
get yourself to a scrapyard and get an exhaust manifold from a nova SRi or 1993 GSI (it MUST have lambda probe hole)

then use a GTE downpipe and get yourself an ashley 2" competition system direct from ashley for a nova gte - this will ditch the cat and unleash a good few horses in itself and u should be able to get the lot for about 150 (the zorst is 130 from ashley so dpending on how cheap scrappys are)

as for the induction kit u can buy a kit from green for thr 1.2i for about 70quid or u can make your own with a top box from a corsa spi (look for a corsa 1.2i in scrappy and you'll see the bit that replaces the nova bin lid) and either a corsa spi induction kit or a universal fiilter and some pipework

http://www.kevingalloway.demon.co.uk/craigs/ind.jpg

thats on my bros 1.2i and made from some gutter pipe and a gutter bend from homebase and cost me #37.50 all in for everything

for the suspension i'd look at a gmax kit with shocks and springs (get -60mm) which will cost about 200 and spend the rest of your budget on some alloys - best getting some from another vauxhall like an astra or cav or simlar as they go cheap as chips on ebay (although u may need to change the tires) i just recently baught 4 cav sri alloys for 95quid off ebay and then got 4 195/45r15 uniroyal rainsports for 150 from topgear.co.uk and seen as uve saved #70 on the air filter and 120 on suspension by using my reccomendations u can just about afford to get the wheels without going overbudget :)

we've just done similar mods to the above list to my bros 1.2i and it now looks like this:

http://uploader.co.uk/images/craigsidecap.jpg

the car only cost #50 and needs some tidying up where the sills were replaced but other than that its fine :D

nova_rally
21-06-04, 02:55 PM
Apex -40mm Suspension kit is ?250. Well worth it. OMP Strutbrace ?45, also worth it depending how flexible your car is!

Alan

Alex
21-06-04, 04:49 PM
DONT go straight to Ashley for an Ashley exhaust. It is FAR cheaper to go to someone like www.raldes.co.uk and buy it.

BigOliR
22-06-04, 10:11 AM
Was just looking on the Green Filters website. They make a kit for the 1.2 SPi '91-on. Would that fit onto my car?

Also, I have been told somewhere else to get a whole exhaust system from a GTE/GSI. Would that not work? And would it be better to get a performance back box, as well as the system.

dunova
22-06-04, 10:22 AM
A performance backbox wont do anything for performance, just sound nice so get a full system. And as for the gte/gsi system, that'd be a good upgrade but if you want the manifold aswell you'd have to get a late spec gsi one with a lambda sensor. For the money i'd get a gte/gsi system coz on a 1.2 you wont see much of a performance increase on a full s/s system coz it isn't a performance engine, it'll just cost a lot more :wink:

BigOliR
22-06-04, 01:21 PM
I didn't mean just a back box, I ment one with the new exhaust system. :)

I don't know anything about cars - yet - so don't know what the manifold is, so if you could explain, in dumbarse language, what all the bits are, it would be great.

Also, whats the s/s system?

dunova
22-06-04, 02:15 PM
The exhaust manifold is the beginning of the exhaust and comes off of the engine block itself, this then attaches to the mid-section which has 2-3 boxes (1/2 will be silencers and the other one will be a catalitic converter) and then at the end you have your backbox. The s/s system just means stainless steel system, so you won't ever have to replace it due to rust coz it wont rust! The s/s systems are better because of this but will cost a lot more than a gte/gsi system. If you just want a new exhaust so your car sounds the dogs bo**ocks then just get a performance back box

novaboy1981
22-06-04, 10:17 PM
if ur just starting out in the world of cars then a haynes manual is an absolute MUST!
it tells u all about ur car and how it works and how 2 change things, and only costs a few quid on ebay!

oh, and as 4 ur original q, apparently drilling the airbox makes the best noise, and will work out dead cheap too!

BigOliR
23-06-04, 05:43 PM
Drilling a couple of holes into the original filter box?! Wouldn't that let all the crap into the engine?