PDA

View Full Version : GTE/GSi insurance

Anonymous
05-08-01, 01:32 AM
I'm just wondering if there's any major difference between insurance costs for a GTE and a GSi?

Say you had one of each, both with same spec, and even same value, would the GSi be more to insure, or visa versa?

Also, if you had a GTE that had had a full GSi facelift, would it be more to insure than an original GSi, because the GTE is now "modified"?

I'm asking, 'cos I've seen a white "GSi" for sale, though I think it's actually a GTE in disguise. It's on a D-plate, but it's a private rego, so not sure of exact age...I've not looked at it properly yet. It's definitely at least a GTE and not a modded Merit, with 1.6i engine etc.....not a 1.0 powered replica.....I know that for sure!

Either way, it's totally standard - body kit, interior, wheels, zorst, everything is standard spec GSi.

What kinda insurance will I be looking at, based on me being 23, with 4 years NCD, no points or previous accidents/convictions, car parked on road, security will be added if it's not got it already (though I do know it's got remote locking, and been de-locked, so it's probably already got security of some sort), and I'll be leaving it totally standard for now, to save on insurance.
(I may add my 15" Cav GSi alloys in place of the standard ones...that would be the only none-standard bit, and probably my Mountney Steering wheel)

Any ideas on price?

Cheers Lads "n" Ladets........depending on this info, I may soon own a GSi :D

(to anyone working in insurance, what insurance risk rating is S35?)

Anonymous
05-08-01, 02:42 PM
IM SELLING WHITE j REG GSI.fULL MAGNEX MANIFOLD/SYSTEM,5 SPOKE ALLOYS,INSURANCE IS THE SAME ON BOTH

Anonymous
05-08-01, 02:51 PM
Well I can't see it being more than 500-600 TPFT cuz they're both only group 11... and you're 23 with 4 yrs NCB and a clean licence so thats a bonus...

How much does it cost to insure ur antibes with the 1.3 lump? I'd bet it'd be about 1.7ish times more than u pay for that.

=======================
If there's grass on the pitch... :D

Anonymous
05-08-01, 06:48 PM
My current insurance on the Antibes is ?250, though they're now asking for another ?76 'cos I've fitted the Weber 32/34 DTML!!!
(Bastards!).

I've seen a white GTE come GSi for ?700....yes I know...that is very cheep, but it has got 135K on it, so the price is the market value for the car....I checked on the Parker Guide. The body and interior is mint.....don't know about the engine yet though, as I've not inspected it as yet.......I'm thinking of having it as a project anyway, so the engine may not be there for long....hum...do I sense a valver on the way :D

The thing is for now, I'd be keeping it totally standard, even the zorst to save on insurance, so would it be even less than what you quoted above?

I'll see...I may wait and save up for a low milage minter.....how much you selling yours for bigmikie?

***MKII SR and GSi brochure scans now on www.novabug.co.uk ***!

Anonymous
05-08-01, 07:31 PM
you'll pay for a modded gte price.

as for s35 i will look in work tomorrow.

Anonymous
05-08-01, 08:15 PM
Im 21, with a 'GTE' 4 years no claim's, no points etc etc.., and I pay ?700 fully comp...

not that bad B-)

Anonymous
05-08-01, 09:25 PM
Ian....that's what I thought. I think it's definitely a GTE with a GSi facelift, so thought insurance would be as a moded GTE..i.e. more than if it was a standard GSi. I'll be interested to see what S35 is for insurance....find out how dodgy or not my area is lol!

Lee....?700 fully comp sounds pretty good to me for being 21.....I'll get a few quotes and see what they say.

Cheers lads ;)

***MKII SR and GSi brochure scans now on www.novabug.co.uk ***!

Anonymous
06-08-01, 02:20 AM
I got quotes of 1050TPFT on a provisional @ 19 yrs old a while back if thats any help, for a std GTE f/g reg :)

=======================
If there's grass on the pitch... :D

Anonymous
06-08-01, 10:31 AM
I've found out this morning, that it is a genuine GSi and is totally original and standard. It was advertised as a G-plate, hence why I thought it much be a GTE, but he says that ad was wrong, and it's actually a H-plate.....I'm finding out more info on it, but it looks like I'm definitely getting it :D

He says the paint needs sorting out, but it's white so dead easy to re-spray myself...I'm doing my current nova my self, which is red.
I'm just waiting to here about the engine condition, and if it's got any serious rust. It looks rust free on the pics I've seen of it, and the paint looks ok, so I'll see.

I'll get quotes as a standard GSi now I know.

Anonymous
06-08-01, 11:50 AM
go for it Rich,gtes/gsis are gorgeous even when standard!-I still like the looks of the GTE though,I like the GSi,but everyone replicates it,like facelifts,then fits GSi bumpers,not many people replicate GTEs,so its got its own bit of exclusiveness I think. Well,I cannot afford to buy a GSi,so I got a GTE,next best thing dont you alol think?

clear repeaters,lowered and more performance in the pipe line :)

Anonymous
06-08-01, 12:16 PM
Hi Rob mate......yep, it looks like I may be joining you as a GTE/GSi owner...and it's white like yours!
It's cheep...that's why I'm interested, 'cos of high mileage and the paint thing, plus, it's at a dealer, and being sold at trade price!
It's 60 miles away, so a bit of a journey to go and see it....just hope it's worth it, though it'll be a day out lol!
If it's not ok, I'll wait 'till I can get a low mileage minter instead.

Rob.....don't put yor self down 'cos you can't afford a GSi....I can't either!. I'm gonna have to borrow the cash temporarily, and hope I get a decent amount for my Nova to cover the cost of the GSi, or some of it at least....fingers crossed!

Anonymous
07-08-01, 07:08 PM
good luck mate, Im glad I got a gte now,stand out loads more from the 1.0-1.2 lads,like I was,theres so many of them!-nothing wrong with the small engined novas,Im fed up with some of the peeps round here adding a tailpipe,sunstrip and fake alloy trims,and thinking theyre it,hope its a good one,if it aint,u can seriously haggle,maybe get some tyres replaced etc,worth getting all you can from the dealer,hes doing the same... ;) BTW,GTE is goin live(well,going road really) on the 26th!-with a silver door though :( but straight to book into bodyshop :D and some alloys are in the pipeline,I want 15s!

clear repeaters,lowered and more performance in the pipe line :)

Anonymous
07-08-01, 11:00 PM
I bet you can't wait until the 26th......you'll be bombing around in you GTE....nice ;)
What's it like to drive and everything.....all ok? I've driven a GTE in the past (the Mt Black one I almost bought last year), and it was very nice. The gear box was the main thing I noticed, 'cos it was miles smoother changing gears etc, than the 5-speed in my Antibes. The brakes were nice too, in fact the whole car was bloody nice....I just wish I'd bought it there and then!!!

I'm hoping to go and take a look at the GSi on Saturday....I'd go during the week, but I'm working hard ready to launch my business at the beginning of next week. To be honest, buying that GSi now couldn't come at a worse time, 'cos I'm so short on time, I could do without the hassle at the mo. I'd have to have two cars out side at the same time, both would have to be insured :O and I'd have to get the Antibes finished to be able to sell it for a decent price, as I can't sell it as it is, with the rusty arch, dinted door and miss-matching paint! My Sister thinks I'm mad even thinking about it, and says why don't I concentrate on getting the business up and running, then I can afford a low mileage minter! She's got a very good point, but this GSi in only ?700 for fucks sake.....and it's got a private plate that I could sell, plus I could sell the alloys and fit my 15's, so by the time I do that, it could only be 4 or 500 quid!

The bloke from the dealer had told me that it's got a few bits of rust on it, and has been very honest.....he even said "
Although the paint work looks quite good in the photos, there are several areas of rust, made worse by the fact that some one has already carried out some paintwork on the car, and not made a very good job of it.
It is an ideal 'project' car."

So....at least he's not trying to cover up the fact that it needs some work doing on it, but even if I pay for a re-spray (been quoted ?400 at local spray shop), and fit a new engine etc etc, it's still cheep! Most of the paint looks ok though, so I may be able to do the paint myself, like I'm doing on the Antibes.

I'll see anyway.....I'll get a mate or two to go with me, so I've got some extra opinions to make my decide. (this is a long post...I ought to have mailed you Rob!)