PDA

View Full Version : Engine rebuild

clawsk
20-06-04, 01:30 PM
Gettin my engine rebored etc. How can i get the block, head and cam carrier to look brand new?? had my rocker cover shot blasted, but not sure if its suitable to shot blast the block??

cheers

Got this off a profile on here. i want mine to look like this

http://img59.photobucket.com/albums/v180/clawsk/engine.jpg

S_Gault
20-06-04, 05:15 PM
if you blast your block you will sieze the engine on the starter!!

I acid dip mine with all core plugs removed and oil galleries out. This way they are like new when removed.

They will also need a proper wash after every single machining operation.

make sure there is no shot left over in the galleries that feed the hydralic followers.

Steven

geordie_racer
20-06-04, 10:04 PM
have seen many engine components put through dishwashers before and they always come out very clean

chris

robb
21-06-04, 11:45 AM
For those of us who live at home (save on rent to spend on car!) I'm not sure mother would enjoy a greasy engine going through her marigold replacement!

I would use degreaser and my toothbrush on it. Then some engine paint!

Steven's methood could be a bit costly for those not in the workshop!

clawsk
22-06-04, 06:29 PM
S_Gault Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 5:15 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

if you blast your block you will sieze the engine on the starter!!

I acid dip mine with all core plugs removed and oil galleries out. This way they are like new when removed.

They will also need a proper wash after every single machining operation.

make sure there is no shot left over in the galleries that feed the hydralic followers.

Steven

Just got my engine back today. The block has been re-bored and the crank removed. The pistons are out, so would i be able to get it acid dipped or will this ruin the new bores?
Also how much should it cost for somewhere to put crank and pistons back into block?

Cheers Nick

m.d.
22-06-04, 07:10 PM
no it wont ruin the bores. it only removes dirt rust and grime normally