PDA

View Full Version : Whats the ULTIMATE 1.6 8v Head???

NovaNeil
20-06-04, 12:42 PM
Hi,

Just wondering if theres anything else that can be done to a head with the following spec stuff....

Polished and Ported with large valves
Piper Cam with new lifters & tappets

Can you get uprated valve springs??? is there anything else that can be done?

Solid lifters maybe? or is just on 16v engines? Sorry im not to clued up with heads :oops:

Cheers

Neil

m.d.
20-06-04, 02:54 PM
yeah you can get soilid lifters for the 8v from kent and they also do a full race cam which does not start till 3500 rpm :o
they also do stronger valve springs so you can rev higher without valve bounce.

but to be honnest i was reving mine to over 8000 rpm at castle coombe (you probably heard) and the valves never bounced

S_Gault
20-06-04, 05:13 PM
right lets tell some truths for a change!

Hydralic followers- if you start revving hard on an 8v with them and run for a period of time, (ie on a racey gearing) they WILL jack up and break things.! Im fixing a track day one at minute for this reason. If the engine builder knew what he was doing he would build them using a certain follower so that if it happens it will break it and not valves etc. otherwise its valve/ guide and insert damage.

2 Kents solid followers are mad money, I make my own from the hydralic one, but you can only use them on a cam that has a solid follower opening flank!

3- titanium top caps, iskie springs, REC valves.. how much do you want to spend.. its all up to you and what use you are putting the engine to. if its a road car,, forget it,

Steven

NovaNeil
20-06-04, 08:51 PM
Its for a road car.... soon going to have 200bhp as its Turbo'd... I just wanted to build the head, so that it was as good as you can get, therefore less chance of it failing.

Its not a massively Rev happy engine, but im hoping soon it will be revving inexcess of 6200rpm.....But no more than about 6500 - 6750.

Neil

S_Gault
20-06-04, 09:49 PM
if its turboed it wont matter very much what you do.

Steven

m.d.
21-06-04, 07:47 PM
have jou had the bottom end all lightened and ballenced as this will put the power higher up the rev range. surely you can rev higher than 6200 by now. im using a standard bottom end and the power is still there till 7000 :D

a different cam may help but im not sure what you have at the mo. the one i use is an ast 15 kent sports r cam. 295 i think. and the power goes from 2500 to 6500 according to the book. ive worked out that if i change at 7500 ill drop right back into the power on the next gear.

where is your max power neil

S_Gault
21-06-04, 10:05 PM
power curves in cam books dont mean shit!

and lighten and blanacing the bottom end will not affect the power curve.. it;ll just be smoother and more responsive..

Steven

m.d.
22-06-04, 07:14 PM
it will allow you to rev the engine higher if everything is all nice and ballenced (providing you have arp bolts that is.)
yeah the book tells you that the power on my cam dies at 6500 rpm. lol
i dont think so somehow. also the book tells you not to rev past 6500 rpm lol :lol:

S_Gault
23-06-04, 09:11 AM
bottom end balance wont allow you to rev higher.. revs area product of the breathing ability of the head and valvetrain.

Balance just stops it all falling apart.

Steven

Jim
23-06-04, 09:18 AM
My heads the best ;) You should have taken it when you stopped by CP's Neil, LOL. Too late now, it's in the car :P

Jim