PDA

View Full Version : front wheel barings...

broody
19-06-04, 11:46 PM
need mine replacing, but have like ?0 to fund it, whats best option, could i change the hub from a car in the scrappy? Dont surget anything involving garage as i have little money.

Neil

epo
20-06-04, 09:50 AM
i think wheel bearings are only about a tenner brand new mate thats all i paid for mine
from a smaller motor spares shop round me

-tucny-
20-06-04, 10:27 AM
yeah, there well cheap if you get em from a small motor factors or trade place. a scrappers may charge you more for a complete hub assembly than the bearings are new. you can change em urself however they can be a c**t to fit as the hub bolt can be a t**t to undo even with a long arm rachet + ul need a fapping great socket!

Stuart
20-06-04, 11:30 AM
erm to change the front bearings you really need a hydraulic press (which requires a garage)

most front bearings are about ?18 each

the hub nut is 30mm, deep socket is best

you can just get hubs from a scrappy, but theres no garuntee that the bearings will be of any use.

novaexplod
20-06-04, 01:22 PM
u dont have to use a press u can get away with 2 bricks piece of wood and a hammer.

Stuart
20-06-04, 03:46 PM
to do it properly requires a press

robb
21-06-04, 09:45 AM
I would use a press if I had to do it again.

I used 2 bits of wood, a large hammer and broke several punches and chizel type objects. Oh and about 3 hours of my time to remove hub and replace wheel bearing and replace hub!

Aragorn
21-06-04, 11:19 AM
plus if u start bashing the new bearing with various random hard objects you'll end up damaging it

robb
21-06-04, 11:32 AM
I used a giant socket that fitted the outer race to tap mine in, but you are right any bashing on a new bearing is not good for it.

Plus a press requires little sweat and will take half the time!

Those circlips are a bit of a c**t to get out too, or maybe that is just me!

Ste_Nova
21-06-04, 12:27 PM
i made my own press... cause i was pissed off with having to get garages to do them.... as for the 30mm a standard socket will do... a snap on battery impact gun (?300) or compressor and gun etc is handy

_JH_
21-06-04, 01:16 PM
if you buy a complete hub, bearing and upright/steering knuckle from a scrappy and the bearings are naff they'll replace it or refund you. if they won't they're crap.

hitting them in and out is simply stupid. even if it all seems fine, the bearings won't last as long.

a garage won't charge much to do it, or as ste said make a press. look at some of the lower priced presses and you'll see they just use a bottle jack, you can make up the stand etc to go with it.

and not that i'd normally reccomend eBay for car stuff, you can buy brand new bearings on there cheap. I got a pair for ?11 inc p+p. paid ?17 for one from a factor.

EDIT
http://rd_steele.home.bresnan.net/hydpress.gif