PDA

View Full Version : nova going???

NikosNova
19-06-04, 12:37 PM
took car into vauxhall gargae today for insurance extimate after break in and it needs new drivers quarter glass, new lock set :/, new dash cus they marke dit when getting stereo out. They say that it will most likely get written off, so im pretty pissed off abut it! :/
if anyone has an account at parkers could they do me a valuation on a 1991 Nova SR? cheers as my insurance pays out for what the vehicle is worth.

if anyone is sellin their car, i might be interested if it gets written off

epo
19-06-04, 12:42 PM
why not buy the old one back and repair it

NikosNova
19-06-04, 12:44 PM
hmmm, yeah, if the car is say worth 500 quid, which it prob is, and it gets written off, how much u think id get it back for?

Jack
19-06-04, 02:18 PM
They'll write it off if the cost of repair is over 50% of the book price of the car, so if the car is only worth ?500 any repair over ?250 will be deemed a write off. They'll give you market value of the car, minus whatever "salvage value" the engineer puts on it (usually ?50-100). So if book price is ?500, they'll buy it off you and give you about ?400-450.

If its your insurance company doing it, they'll also take the car away. I've heard they're unkeen to let people buy cars back, especially cars that are getting on a bit (i.e. most novas lol). However, as its no structural damage, only cosmetic they probably will let you buy it back tho. (other options include them scrapping it, or putting it up for auction).

Get more quotes from other garages as well, this will help you to argue to cost of repair. Also, get a couple of autotraders and private adds in for Nova SRs too, as this will help you argue the value of the car.

jkhilton
19-06-04, 02:51 PM
Are you not better off just buying the parts yourself?

If the car is written off, does the insurance company pay you the value of the car less your excess? or does the excess only come into play if it's a repair job? I've always wondered this and noone has ever been able to give me a definate answer.

John

NikosNova
19-06-04, 04:13 PM
god knows, lol aint got a clue to be honest. i had a metro gti and that got nicked and found in derby a few weeks later. i got given a grand for it although it had a smash in the back and ignition and lock damage obviously, so i really dunno what will happen.

aint got the time and money to do the work myself really :/

epo
19-06-04, 04:20 PM
if u decide to sell it really cheap mate give me a shout plz pal

jkhilton
19-06-04, 04:21 PM
The lock and the window wont take anytime to fit and you could get them from a scrappy for about ?10-15(for both). (I know this as my old SR used to get broken into all the time!!!) the dash, how badly damaged is it?

how many years no claims have you got? or are you in your first year? if you have even 1 years no claims, it is not worth claiming, fix the car yourself, otherwise you will end up paying more in the long run, when you come to insure your next car.

not sure how much you could get a dash for, I just left mine with the little scratches around the headunit(the car was never going to be a concourse winner)

John

Jack
19-06-04, 04:23 PM
Dashes you can pick up off ebay quite cheap, or from a scrappy. If you want a mk1 dash you could probably get one from somebody doing a mk2 conversion for free

NikosNova
19-06-04, 04:42 PM
hmmm, i really dunno what to do. if they write it off i dunno whether to buy it back if they le tme and do the work, or buy a nova that has already been modded as im gonna be short on money this summer and that. what u all think?

novahead
19-06-04, 04:54 PM
go down the scrapy, and get the parts and fit them your self, i'm sure someone on here will live near u and fit it, if u pay umm.

epo
19-06-04, 04:54 PM
if it were me id buy it back and fix it its not a massive amount of work and there are no body work pannels need to be sorted out

novahead
19-06-04, 04:57 PM
i wouldnt tell the insureance, it will make it more money next year

Mel
19-06-04, 07:49 PM
i wouldnt have told insurance company on such a cheap claim. it will prolly push ur premium up a lot next year.

go scrappy, get the parts cheap, delock it (stops the lock damage, but prolly not window being smashed :? ) and get one of those dash repairer people to come out to fix the dash. problem solved :)

Nath
20-06-04, 11:48 AM
when my fiesta got written off i got the money back from the value of the car ?480 then also got to keep the car and sold it on for ?100

Jack
22-06-04, 08:16 PM
i wouldnt tell the insureance, it will make it more money next year

not to mention that the value of the car is wiped out if they do write it off