PDA

View Full Version : Gear Change Probs on 2.016v Nova, Help!!!

Spooon
19-06-04, 12:14 PM
Lo there can any1 help, story is:-

2.016v fitted to nova,f20 box. have set the selecta up to find its bangin on the steering rack when tryin to get 1st, 3rd and reverse, have i forgotten to do something?? i have opened out the knuckle coming off the g/box selecta box as you are ment to, well mayb your not?? can any1 help

Cheers Steve

david dixon
19-06-04, 05:52 PM
You have used the nova linkage haven't you? and not the astra/cav one!

Spooon
19-06-04, 07:47 PM
erm, i have used the original nova selecta rod(the bit that goes from under the gearstick to the gearbox and the rest is all astra/cav, has that made sense, if it has, is this wrong??

Cheers Steve

Philsutton
19-06-04, 08:11 PM
you need to use the nova linkage, well thats what i did anyway

m.d.
19-06-04, 10:16 PM
and me. much easier and it clears the rack

Spooon
19-06-04, 10:23 PM
thanks for your reply guys, so u 2 that used the nova linkage does that include all the ball joint bits and clip on rods off the nova aswell, sorry if im being a little slow, i just need to be clear as to what i need to do

LiD0N
19-06-04, 10:29 PM
yes use everything off the nova linkage/rod and mount you will have to use spacers on the mount but u probly no that anyway..

Spooon
19-06-04, 10:36 PM
ok, thanks lidon, regarding the rear mount, i did read a guide that said spacers were required so i got sum sorted however when it came to actuallt fitting the engine i found i didnt need any spacin as it it lined up spot on, mmm hope my engines in the rite place :o

LiD0N
19-06-04, 10:40 PM
it may well line up but the position of the engine is important otherwise i think you will have problems with driveshafts snapping etc... what spacers have you got?

Spooon
19-06-04, 10:46 PM
i thnik the guide i read said u needed upto 15mm, they were actually using plates, the ones i got were just the size of big washers 15mm deep. if needed i couldve cut them down. So, just checking on the other two mounts, the top gearbox i had to elongate very slightly. the crank pulley side mount i got juat a standard mount but a rally one. Unpicked the mount on the chassis and dropped it directly down by 1.5inch and re welded. Does this sound about rite??

LiD0N
19-06-04, 10:53 PM
i wouldnt advise using "washers" even tho they will probly be ok, the plates go either side of the mount and strengthen the whole thing as well as spacing.. i once had a rear gearbox mount bolt snap off at over 100mph and fly out the back off the car :lol: ...from what youve said i think the other 2 mounts will be ok..

Spooon
19-06-04, 11:01 PM
Ouch, im glad i wasnt following you at the time. but as it is with the other two mounts as they r i need no spacing, mmmm? just to clarify which mount im using, does any of this ring a bell, grinding a lip off one side of the mount, im only using two bolts instead of 3 and i had to enlongatethe hole at the back, am i rite in sayin ive used the nova mount, its been that long since i put it in :oops: aint progressed to far in a year :oops:

LiD0N
19-06-04, 11:07 PM
i think just cos it lines up dont mean it doesnt need spacing but im not sure..??http://www.valvers.com/20xe/downloads/20xe_inst_manual.pdf have a look at that link it esplains how the spacers work ( you will need a pdf reader to view it tho) hope that helps..

Spooon
19-06-04, 11:12 PM
ok lidon thanks for all your help, get your ass into gear and get your xe in your gsi :P :D by the way wot suspension did ya have on ya smahed xe and was it any good

LiD0N
19-06-04, 11:13 PM
after scrolling up and looking wot your original question was... its more than likely that the linkage is bangin becos its not spaced?

Spooon
19-06-04, 11:15 PM
mmmm bugger, i hope not :o