PDA

View Full Version : 1.4 sr engine transplant.

Anonymous
03-09-00, 01:28 PM
I have a 1.2i 92J nova, obviously its not powerful enough. So as a solution to this problem, i would like to follow micky's lead and drop a 1.4sr engine into my nova.
I can pick up a 1.4sr engine, box, and fuel pump for ?150. It also has a piper 270 cam, is this a reasonable price to pay. I dont know the age of the engine or how
many miles it has done. If i do buy this engine how will i know how many miles it has done, and how can i tell if its in good condition or not? Presuming i buy the engine
will it fit straight into the existing engine bay on the same engine mounts without any modification? What other parts will i need for the conversion, and how much will they cost?
Is the engine heavier, and if so will it affect the balance of my car? Finally, my m8 insists if i do this i must get an astra 16v disc+caliper conversion as hes paronoid about the
car not stopping if i put the larger engine in?
Sorry about the length of this message, but i am seriously considering this. I have a mate who says we can do this, no probs.
I just need to know the full ins and outs, before i do this.
I'm looking at u Micky for any advice....
Any help is much appreciated, cheers Tony.

Anonymous
03-09-00, 06:27 PM
okay here u go
u should uprate the brakes but the sr brakes are the same as the basic modells so they should be able to handle the motor (if they work propa)

problem is there shit anyway so i say cahnge em. the engine will go straight in but u will need a 1.4 coil and distributer. there differnt from the 1.2/1.3. if the engine has a camshaft in it as u say u should look at the end ov the camshaft (where the dizzy would bolt on) and look to see what type ov markings it has on it. my cam had the offset hole to drive the 1.4 dizzy and also the offset groove to drive the 1.2/1.3 dizzy. if yours has both then u can use your origanal dizzy and coil. the only other thing u will need is 2 water pipe T peices to supply the carb with water for the autochoke (u can use theses from a mk2 astra there will be loads in the scrappy)

i ran my car about for about 6 months with the 1.2 manifold and downpipe and it runs okay but u can tell the engine feel restricted so when u get a bit more money get the proper 1.4 manifold and down pipe. the car will not self destruct if u dont change it but it wont run at maximun power. apart from that its a doddle and should take no more than a day to sort (ive still got my 1.2 radiator in place and it dosnt get hot so u should be okay there as well)

just ask if u need more help